Whistling Spray Bar Anyone ? (i’m Going Nuts)

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw the Fluval spray bar at my LFS today, cheaper than on Amazon by a lot, so I bought it.

I have a Fluval 407 on a 45 gallon, so lots of powerful filtration. The spray bar makes a terrible, high pitched whistling sound. Nobody in their right mind can endure that.

I did a few tests, and the pitch changes when I block anyone of the holes. If I raise the silver lever on the filter (which decreases the flow output), it starts to slowly quiet down, and almost at the top, where there is just a tiny little bit of flow left, it stops completely.

I bought this filter to have good filtration, so I do not want to decrease it by any means. Not even a little.

So what are my options here ? Has anyone fixed this problem for themselves ? In the meantime I put the regular nozzle back, for my sanity. :)

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might try drilling the holes out a tad bigger.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cichlidude said:
Might try drilling the holes out a tad bigger.
I’m not very good with a drill, but if we have a consensus that’s what it takes, I will try it.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your not good with a drill try taking the spray bar off and take a steak knife and lightly stick the tip in and spin it to enlarge the holes a bit.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
If your not good with a drill try taking the spray bar off and take a steak knife and lightly stick the tip in and spin it to enlarge the holes a bit.
Ha Ha Ha ! The best way for the incompetent ! Good tip, thank you !

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dechi said:
Ha Ha Ha ! The best way for the incompetent ! Good tip, thank you !
just be careful and hold the spray bar at the opposite end of the knife. Just try a couple holes and see if that makes a difference.
Also be sure to rinse it well so you don't have any remnants of plastic floating around your tank!

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
just be careful and hold the spray bar at the opposite end of the knife. Just try a couple holes and see if that makes a difference.
Also be sure to rinse it well so you don't have any remnants of plastic floating around your tank!
I’ll be careful if I go that route. I’m so clumsy I could eviscerate myself, lol !

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Before attacking the poor spraybar, make sure there isn't any plastic hanging off inside from when the holes were originally made as swarf like that will play a tune quite well....give it a good roger with a bottle brush to remove any hanging bits inside

Also, you might want to keep a nail handy, like I do with my CF80 spraybar, cos occasionally a snail will magically find its way - goodness knows how cos they have seriously bad GPS navigation - up through the filter and they fit nicely on the holes and make a spraybar sound like a severely intoxicated set of bagpipes.....a quick firk around with the nail shifts them and all is quiet in the waterfall once again

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pagoda said:
Before attacking the poor spraybar, make sure there isn't any plastic hanging off inside from when the holes were originally made as swarf like that will play a tune quite well....give it a good roger with a bottle brush to remove any hanging bits inside

Also, you might want to keep a nail handy, like I do with my CF80 spraybar, cos occasionally a snail will magically find its way - goodness knows how cos they have seriously bad GPS navigation - up through the filter and they fit nicely on the holes and make a spraybar sound like a severely intoxicated set of bagpipes.....a quick firk around with the nail shifts them and all is quiet in the waterfall once again
Wow, good to know about the snails, thank you ! I had already looked at the holes and they all look very sharp, no plastic edges. I’ll double look to make sure.

(I’m about to get a loach, as soon as my tank is a little more mature, I hate snails)

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I find snails in mine all the time and considering the spraybar is 2cm above the waterline, they have to have done some major mountaineering through the filter cannister to get there

(When I am clearing snails from the bar, I have no issues getting rid of the pesky snails....my Black Neons munch them as soon as they hit the water )

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pagoda said:
I find snails in mine all the time and considering the spraybar is 2cm above the waterline, they have to have done some major mountaineering through the filter cannister to get there

(When I am clearing snails from the bar, I have no issues getting rid of the pesky snails....my Black Neons munch them as soon as they hit the water )
So you mean the snails actually get into the filter, not only caught in the holes of the spray bar ?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know nothing about Fluvial filters. But when there is whistling from the spray bars of my Marineland Emperors it is from the holes being partly clogged. I would also look to be sure that there are no air leaks in the system. Air bubbles being forced through the holes could do that. Is the sound steady or does the pitch change or come and go?

Snails find filters the perfect habitat. I have had the little monsters actually jam the bio wheels to a stop.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes...my snails manage to wander into the cannister, wriggle their way up the filter media and out into the spraybar

They are the James Bond of snails.....even still alive despite two full 3 day snail killer treatments

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can't you just move the spray bar slightly under the water line? That should muffle any noise and still give you decent movement of water across the top.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the above. My spray bar is just under the water line.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I prefer mine to be above as it adds oxygenation, along with the bubbler, and the fish love playing in the waterfall

The sound of running water is also very soothing at night too

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
pagoda said:
I prefer mine to be above as it adds oxygenation, along with the bubbler, and the fish love playing in the waterfall

The sound of running water is also very soothing at night too
I have my spray bar under the waterline, HOWEVER, I have the tube situated so that the water coming out of the bar goes up towards the surface. This gives the surface agitation without having the bar above the water.

But hey, if you like the sound of it, then great! haha.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Is the sound steady or does the pitch change or come and go?
It’s a very steady sound, no pitch change, no come and go.

JayH said:
Can't you just move the spray bar slightly under the water line?
It already is below the water line. I tried moving it above, but it didn’t change anything

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dechi said:
It already is below the water line. I tried moving it above, but it didn’t change anything
Okay, that's strange. I'd try the suggestion of slightly reaming out the holes with the tip of a pointy knife or the edge of a chisel if you have one. Start at the end furthest from the hose and work back so if you make the holes too big while learning the right approach it will be at the point of least pressure. Just slightly enlarge them to start.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Problem solved, thanks everyone !

I decided to use my drill, with a 1/8 bit and made all the holes bigger. It’s not that much a difference, but no more whistling ! :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom