Whisper's Pond

1. whisper Well Known Member Member

This is my pond. We have 3 Large Koi and variouse fancy Goldfish in it.
    115.jpg

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's very lovely whisper. You must enjoy that very much :)

3. whisper Well Known Member Member

We do Lucy. Off to the right is a deck that we sit and feed the fish while drinking our morning coffee.

4. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I like the plants you have around it. Do you get many birds (or other critters) coming for a drink? I love to watch the hummingbirds take a bath in my waterfall.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Whisper. The pond is beautiful!
    Ken

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, Mike!

Great idea, Lucy!

Whisper, your pond is beautiful. Those plants really add something special.

7. whisper Well Known Member Member

Thanks all. Yes we do get many animals. To many. The birds drink from the waterfalls which is. In live trapes I have caught 1 large racoon, 2 opposumm, 2 stray cats over the past two years. I then call the animal shelter in our area and they come pick them up. Also I have seen a large grey crane twice standing on the deck. In the last month I have lost about 4 of my beautiful 9" fancy goldfish to something.:;dk:;fru. I feel terrible about them but I would really be heart sick if they got the Koi.

116.jpg
    Marble Butterfly Koi

353.jpg

117.jpg
    White Dragon Koi and regular tri color Koi

I'm hoping some of them will spawn next spring.

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

They're gorgeous!

9. whisper Well Known Member Member

Thanks A.

10. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

wow! such a nice pond!!
    I can't believe all the little animals trying to come and get a snap at the fish/water.
    We have a verandah being built at the moment, and my parents say if i dig the pond, they will pay for it, because they don't ever believe i will manage...
    We'll see about that.

One thing i did read - does having fish limit the wildlife (other than hungry mammals and birds of course) I mean like insects etc. ??

11. gremlin Well Known Member Member

My guess would be either stray cats (maybe), a raccoon (maybe), or the crane (most likely). You could try adding a statue of a crane - they won't come to a pond if there is already a crane there, they are quite territorial. Or maybe pond netting. It is lightweight and black so you really don't notice it, and it keeps the critters from snacking on your fishies.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Whisper, I hope you don't mind but I moved your post and all it's responses out of Mike's announcement of this new forum to a thread of your own. :)

13. whisper Well Known Member Member

No Lucy that's fine.

14. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Whisper, your pond is beautiful! I am sooooo jealous :)

15. whisper Well Known Member Member

Thanks MTS.

16. lorabell Well Known Member Member

beautifull....how relaxing that must be!!!!!

17. whisper Well Known Member Member

Yes It's great!

18. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

So lovely! It's just not fair! lol

19. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

beautiful pond and fishies! i wish i could dig a pond... but my parents think i'm crazy already :giggle: Your BF kois are beautiful. My fav one is the white one :D

20. whisper Well Known Member Member

Oh MM. Why don't you just swing by here one morning and have coffee with me? I'll even let you use my Betta coffee mug I just got:;co. LOL

The Beautiful Tri colored Butterfly Koi was sold to use as a Shubunkin from our LFS( need I say more). About a month later I said "Hey what a minute this one has barbles on the side of it's mouth." Which turns out it's OK because we ended up with this amazing Koi. You can't see in the picture but when she swims around she has these long flowing fins like feathers.