Whisper Power Filter 10 Question

1. vtyou Initiate Member

So I just bought a 10gallon combo, and it came with a Whisper Power Filter 10. My question is will my filter be powerful enough for me so that I won't have to buy an air pump? It pumps out 90 gph, and I'm going to have 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows with 1 Male Betta.

-Vincent

2. erk419 Member Member

It should be enough! I'm a filteraton freak so I always like to do overkill on my tanks. But seeing how your gonna have a betta in there and they don't like water flow it should be fine. Actually it my cause to much flow you might have to block he flow some. Now with compatabliy issues I'm not sure about maybe someone else will chime in about that

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You didn't ask about compatibility, but generally it isn't recommended to have a betta with other fish. It's stressful for the bettas, and they don't tend to do well. Usually it'll work out for a little bit and then suddenly someone ends up dead or hurt.

I don't have experience with that filter, but generally 8-10x flow rate is recommended, so 90 gph sounds perfect. :)

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Vincent, I know meenu and I are off topic and I apologize for that, but Bettas are tropical fish and should have a heater unless you live in a climate where the water temp will stay consistantly warm. They do best with water temps closer to 78-80F.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. ruthven78 Member Member

aside form the compatibility issues, I think it might be too much flow for them, they like pretty calm waters. If you can, you might try putting the filter at one end and have some tall plants at the other end. Lots of current can disturb their bubble nests too. If you want, you might try a tank divider?