Whisper is sick now too!

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
My red female Whisper seems to have a case of finrot. The edges of her tail are turning black and looking ragged. She almost looks like a Crowntail. Finrot I can handle but what worries me is she has also suddenly developed a lump right on her chin under her mouth. It looks like a wart or pimple. I have no idea what it is!
When I look at it with a magnifying glass it has a slightly fuzzy appearance but is definitely hard like a wart. It's slightly pink in appearance. Could it be fish lice? It's bigger than ich so I know it isn't that. I started treating with Tank Buddies Parasite clear. I'll use Tri-Sulfa to treat the finrot. She seems okay otherwise, swimming and eating like a pig! She's not scratching so maybe it's a type of fungus or tumor?
Sigh... Why her now? I'm already treating Lava for different problems. They seem to get sick all at once don't they?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
My red female Whisper seems to have a case of finrot. The edges of her tail are turning black and looking ragged. She almost looks like a Crowntail. Finrot I can handle but what worries me is she has also suddenly developed a lump right on her chin under her mouth. It looks like a wart or pimple. I have no idea what it is!
When I look at it with a magnifying glass it has a slightly fuzzy appearance but is definitely hard like a wart. It's slightly pink in appearance. Could it be fish lice? It's bigger than ich so I know it isn't that. I started treating with Tank Buddies Parasite clear. I'll use Tri-Sulfa to treat the finrot. She seems okay otherwise, swimming and eating like a pig! She's not scratching so maybe it's a type of fungus or tumor?
Sigh... Why her now? I'm already treating Lava for different problems. They seem to get sick all at once don't they?
Could it be mouth fungus or true fungus according to the disease chart that Isabella found at ?

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Whisper is showing up with symptoms (of what, idk).  Seems you were busy enough trying to treat Lava.  Hope you can find out soon what it is to be able to treat it, though.

Mike

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Phlox - so sorry to hear about Whisper. Hope all of our good wishes and prayers will see you both through - ya know, there really is a lot of sadness on this forum! Good thing there are also many people who understand...Take care. Best of luck for speedy recovery to Lave and Whisper. Val

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I hope Lava and Whisper both recover soon. It is no fun having even one sick fish. I am sending positive thoughts your way.

CherryRose

OP
P

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Well at least Whisper seems to be doing okay. I still don't know what the lump on her chin is, but it looks a bit smaller today. Her tail looks the same so I don't think she has finrot. The black edges are probably just her normal coloring. I'm treating her with Parasite Clear just in case the lump is a bug of some kind. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it so it might just be a benign growth that fish sometimes get. I've heard they come and go on their own. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
Well at least Whisper seems to be doing okay. I still don't know what the lump on her chin is, but it looks a bit smaller today. Her tail looks the same so I don't think she has finrot. The black edges are probably just her normal coloring. I'm treating her with Parasite Clear just in case the lump is a bug of some kind. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it so it might just be a benign growth that fish sometimes get. I've heard they come and go on their own. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Glad to hear the lump's going down. Mario had black edges on his fins from the time we got him until he started losing pieces but we thought it was normal coloring since for some Bettas it is. I guess all you can do with that is watch since it's an unknown and we both hate to give un-needed meds. Probably is just normal coloring though.. We hope & pray you have all-healthy Bettas soon.

Icicle

Reaction score
Almost as soon as we brought Finley home (our office betta) he began to get fin rot. We treated it with constant water changes and doing everything we can to help de-stress the little guy. A few weeks later now he is perfectly fine. We just realize we have to spoil the little guy rotten to keep him happy and healthy! :

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
It's scarry how fast fin rot can happen!!! GrI'm has some strange and dark looking edges to parts of his fins, but I think that it is just the blue growing back in. Most of his regrowth has been marroon up until now, and at first I thought that the fin rot was back.
Hopefully for whisper it is just the coloration too!

Let us know how the bump goes. That is strange and worrisome, though it is probably nothing.

New Threads