Whisper is gone

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
My beautiful Whisper died this morning very suddenly.  :'(  :'(  :'(  I don't understand... She was fine yesterday and only started acting sick today.
I am going to continue treating Karma in case it was something contagious. All I can think of is maybe she had a cancerous tumor inside. Maybe that's what the lump on her chin was too. I guess I'll never know.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( :'( awww.. we're really sorry to hear that you lost whisper today. she was a little fighter & a great fish who gave you many valuable memories and good times.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh no! Not your little Whisper too. I am so very, very, very sorry that she got sick and left you so suddenly. You are a very good betta mom, and always took such good care of your betta family. My heartfelt sympathy for you and your fishie friends.

CherryRose :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry for your loss...it is so sad that she was so young and had so much living to do yet. You can comfort yourself by knowing that you gave her the best of conditions to live in for the life that she had and that she had love and the best of care. You worked hard to keep her going but it is really hard to save them when you do not know what the problem is. Please do not question the things you did for her. You are a wonderful Betta parent.

My deepest sympathies and if there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to let me know.

Rose
:'(

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Phlox, I am so sorry to learn that you lost Whisper. You did what you could to help her,and she brought you such joy for the time she was with you. You were blessed to have each other. Val

OP
P

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
She hid her illness from me until it was too late. I examined her and found she had a lot of slimy cottony fungus coming out of her gills and mouth.  I had not seen this until the morning she died. I check all my fish each day with a magifying glass and flashlight to look for anything unusual like fungus, parasites, missing scales, finrot etc. The night before she was active, dancing around and racing to get her pea as it sank. Not what you'd expect from a Betta that was hours from death. Her gills were so badly swollen yesterday morning I think she must have died of suffocation. She had little bubbles coming from her gills. She could no longer breathe.  :'(  At least it took her quickly and she didn't have to suffer in pain for days.
Karma is still active and eating well but is really paled out and has dark stress stripes. Hopefully now that she is on Maracyn-Two she should be able to fight off whatever bacteria killed Whisper.
It is possible that my insanely high PH levels damaged her gills and killed her. I tested the tank and ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and nitrate is less than 5.
I need to find a way to lower the PH. For now I am going to do as Rose suggested and use some Spring Water to do a little water change in all the tanks this weekend but this is not a long term option. I think I may have no choice but to use a PH reducing product and another to stabilize the PH. This high PH will kill all my fish sooner or later.  I think if I reduce the PH very slowly over the course of a week it should prevent PH shock.
I was worried I would lose Lava last night too. He looked so sick and wouldn't move or come to eat. I thought for sure I'd come home this morning and find him dead too but he saw me and swam clumsily over and ate his anti-bacteria pellet and then started playfully chasing bubbles around. I am still going to continue to try new meds to reduce the swelling on his swim bladder but eventually may have to face the fact that he could be permanently disabled. He may have to spend the rest of his life floating (sometimes on his side) on the top of the tank.    He is able to straighten himself out and propel himself around a bit but as soon as he relaxes, he drifts sideways.
Also, when he was chasing his bubbles today I noticed one of his long rays on his tail was barely hanging there and then it fell off. Could he have just caught it somewhere and just torn it or does he now have finrot too? How, after all the antibiotics he's been on for the past 2 months could he have finrot? ???

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
That is so sad to hear about Whisper.  That Whisper left you only a day after finding her sick has got to be hard to take.  You barely had a chance to try to help.  But, as has been said, her suffering was kept short.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and Whisper.

Mike

OneMom

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about Whisper. I have been thinking so much about Lava, since we've been battling the same symptoms with Angel.....I am just shocked to hear that Whisper is gone. I can't decide if it's more difficult to watch Lava & Angel struggle for days or to lose a wonderful fish as suddenly as you did Whisper. Either way it happens, the heartbreak is the same. :'(

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I am so sorry Phloxface to hear that Whisper passed away. You have really been having a tough time with your fish and I feel awful for you. Your right though, it's a good thing it happened fast.There is nothing worse then watching them fight and struggle to survive. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Natalie

OP
P

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I buried Whisper in the flower pot next to her brother Phlox. It's sad looking at her side of the tank without her there.
Here's a couple pics of Whisper I had. She was a hard fish to photograph. She didn't like having her pic taken. If I had known she would leave us so soon I'd have taken more pics of her...

The first is Whisper when I first got her. Her fins were still small. They had gotten a lot bigger since then and started growing rays.
The second one is Whisper and Noelle when the girls were all together and still getting along.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
She was such a beautiful little girl. I know what you mean about looking in the tank where she used to be and really missing her. I am glad that you were able to bury her in the flower pot. I wish I had been able to bury poor little Bindi, but I never did find her body.

CherryRose

Fishface

Reaction score
To lower the pH, why don't you use some of Seachem's Liquid pH regulators and reducers? That's what I use, and my pH is always a solid 7.0.

I know it wasn't my water that killed my female. Same disease, though. I know the melaflix ended her life, but what a horrible diease! I'm going to tell me supplier about it today.

New Threads