whisper filters

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

was wondering if anybody knew if the whisper filter that u get in a 2.5 minibowl can be complety submerged or if the top has to be over the water??? need to know

2. joe Member Member

mine is above, and i think it has to be. because if it isnt the water will just kind of go everywere in it, if that makes any sense. :D ;D

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

The top must be above the water enough so that the water has enough room to have a little waterfall. This is part of what adds the oxygen to the water. It doesn't need to fall much more than 1/2" or so but more is better if you can manage it. Good luck with the aquarium. Whisper filters are good and they keep your water clear, but don't change the filter media too often.

Shalom,

Rose :D

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

k thats wat i hav right now but im gona try to get a differnt filter i hat this one

5. dahly Member Member

I hate my Whisper filter.  It works fine but first they recommend that you replace the filter every month. $$$$$  No need to if you rinse it well in tank water.  However, the filter then looks terrible.  The flow is fine and it all still works, but I will replace the whole thing when the flow is restricted.  Bring me another AquaClear, please!   ;D

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

AMEN Dahly!!!! I have 1 big whisper and 3 smaller ones and I absolutely hate them. Am slowly replacing everything with Aquaclears. I just can't reconcile buying new filters as long as the old ones still work :'(
    Carol

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i personally like penguin bio wheels or milllenium power filters but havent used any other types

8. jim55379 Member Member

I use the power filters. The filters aren't too expensive (the blue charcoal ones with the fiber bio thing). I like the noise they make. That's part of the reason I own an aquarium. I find it soothing like a trickling brook. I don't use any aeration except this. I hate those noisy little pumps that I try to weight down with bolts ect so they don't float to the top. And they always vibrate and make annoying noises and sometimes will walk off the table by themselves.

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

A looooong time ago (when I didnt know anything about fish and just rinsed the entire tank in tap water 1ce a week :eek: I wondered why the fish all died so often, once i put a betta in there and he died in 2 days :( :( :( no heater :'( :'( sorry chickadee)
    I had 2 goldfish in a 1 or 2 gallon hex tank :(  with a aerator and it made a nice noise like my filter, all bubbly

10. wilfie Initiate Member

hey
    Jim

Try putting your filter on a piece of sponge
    That'll stop the noise and prevent your pump from wandering

Wilfie

11. wilfie Initiate Member

sorry bout that

I meant to put your PUMP (not your filter)

on a piece of sponge ::)

12. jim55379 Member Member

no problem thanks for the advice.