Whiptail Catfish...

Ken Kanatsu

I recently built a 60g blackwater setup.
It has angels and corries...

Now.. can I add whiptail catfish? If yes... can I add only one? Because they get moderately big... and a group would make the tank overcrowded...20200928_204248.jpg

Cinnabar

I don’t have an answer for you but that is an absolutely stunning aquarium. Hope I can have a setup like that one day.

Ken Kanatsu

Cinnabar said:
I don’t have an answer for you but that is an absolutely stunning aquarium. Hope I can have a setup like that one day.
It's only sand and Almond leaves :emoji_sweat_smile:

Thanks!
:emoji_smile:

jake37

There are different types of whiptail catfish that range from 3/4 inches to over a foot. They are long but actually fairly small and you could probably add 2 or 3 or maybe more depending on which type you go for. Naturally the foot size whiptail would likely be awkward in your tank. You probably want one of the Harttini whiptail while these are more difficult to keep than the Loricariini whiptails they are algae eaters (the loricariini prefer meat). If you keep whiptail you don't want to overstock as they require very clean water but i would shoot for a smaller species and get 3 to 6.
--
This article has a lot of information but i cannot attest that it is accurate:

chromedome52

My inactivity in the hobby over the past few years has often left me unaware of major developments in both aquaristry and ichthyology. The article linked by jake37 had new information that I was not aware of. Thanks!

Ken Kanatsu

jake37 said:
There are different types of whiptail catfish that range from 3/4 inches to over a foot. They are long but actually fairly small and you could probably add 2 or 3 or maybe more depending on which type you go for. Naturally the foot size whiptail would likely be awkward in your tank. You probably want one of the Harttini whiptail while these are more difficult to keep than the Loricariini whiptails they are algae eaters (the loricariini prefer meat). If you keep whiptail you don't want to overstock as they require very clean water but i would shoot for a smaller species and get 3 to 6.
--
This article has a lot of information but i cannot attest that it is accurate:
I'm sorry.
But here in India.. only one species is available.
I should've mentioned... it's the royal whiptail, which grows up to 6".
Also. I want to add one or none... so I don't mind being told no.
So could you please tell me if I could only add one?

jake37

Do you mean the Royal Farlowella ?

chromedome52

Royal Whiptail used to be sold as Royal Falowella, but that is an epithet usually attached to Sturisoma species. Most of the species get larger than 6 inches. They are Algae eaters, and blackwater tanks do not have sufficient algae for them to forage. I probably would not try it.

Ken Kanatsu

jake37 said:
Do you mean the Royal Farlowella ?
Yes.

chromedome52 said:
Royal Whiptail used to be sold as Royal Falowella, but that is an epithet usually attached to Sturisoma species. Most of the species get larger than 6 inches. They are Algae eaters, and blackwater tanks do not have sufficient algae for them to forage. I probably would not try it.
Okay.
So food requirements is the problem... so if I feed algae wafers... would it work?
Also. Please let me know if I could possibly keep a single piece...

chromedome52

Actually, now that I think about it, Sturisoma are one of those species that really likes veggies. Sliced cucumbers or zuchini are often fed to them. I must have had brain constipation the other day. Algae wafers would also help, but the fresh veggies are really popular.

Ken Kanatsu

chromedome52 said:
Actually, now that I think about it, Sturisoma are one of those species that really likes veggies. Sliced cucumbers or zuchini are often fed to them. I must have had brain constipation the other day. Algae wafers would also help, but the fresh veggies are really popular.
Yes.
Thanks.
But again... can I possibly keep a single piece? I wouldn't want to keep them singly if they are like otos which enjoy a lot of company...

chromedome52

I would say yes, it is possible to keep a single. As a fish breeder I don't believe in ever keeping a single fish, but so far as I know, they are not a social type of fish.

Ken Kanatsu

chromedome52 said:
I would say yes, it is possible to keep a single. As a fish breeder I don't believe in ever keeping a single fish, but so far as I know, they are not a social type of fish.
So would my leaves be enough hiding space... or do I need to add something else..?

MacZ

Ken Kanatsu said:
So would my leaves be enough hiding space... or do I need to add something else..?
I would definitely add driftwood. Not only for the Sturisoma, but also for the angelfish.

Can you take a picture of the tank with better lighting?

Ken Kanatsu

MacZ said:
I would definitely add driftwood. Not only for the Sturisoma, but also for the angelfish.

Can you take a picture of the tank with better lighting?
Sure!
20201003_210454.jpg

MacZ

You will definitely need some driftwood.

Ignore the video being in german, but take a look at this scape. You see it done at about 23min.

Ken Kanatsu

MacZ said:
You will definitely need some driftwood.

Ignore the video being in german, but take a look at this scape. You see it done at about 23min.
Yeah...
The thing is.. there is a 90g on the top of the stand, So I don't have enough space to add something big and thick... I'll see what I can do though. Thanks!

Redshark1

This is the most reliable and characterful Whiptail I would recommend.
Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish Rhineloricaria sp. L010a
It is pictured at the top of the TFH article.

Ken Kanatsu

Redshark1 said:
This is the most reliable and characterful Whiptail I would recommend.
Red Lizard Whiptail Catfish Rhineloricaria sp. L010a
It is pictured at the top of the TFH article.
You may've missed my earlier statements.
We only have 1 species available in our area...
So...

MacZ

Ken Kanatsu said:
Yeah...
The thing is.. there is a 90g on the top of the stand, So I don't have enough space to add something big and thick... I'll see what I can do though. Thanks!
It's mostly because the angels will appreciate some cover. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. :)

Ken Kanatsu

MacZ said:
It's mostly because the angels will appreciate some cover. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. :)
Sure.
Maybe some thinner diy driftwood!

jake37

I would recommend zuc over cucumber - better nutrition. That fish if it is the one I am thinking of is not very social and doesn't really hide much - it spends most of its time eating algae and is very sensitive to water changes; or changes in water chemistry.

I dont' think he needs driftwood for angels - mine never hide - in fact they avoid hiding places. The only time they do try to hide is when there is mating aggression and then they don't hide near driftwood - they run to the forest of jungle val which is actually thick enough to fully hide them. But now that i have a stable triplet they haven't hidden in 6 months.

MacZ said:

Ken Kanatsu

jake37 said:
I would recommend zuc over cucumber - better nutrition. That fish if it is the one I am thinking of is not very social and doesn't really hide much - it spends most of its time eating algae and is very sensitive to water changes; or changes in water chemistry.
Okay!

jake37 said:
I dont' think he needs driftwood for angels - mine never hide - in fact they avoid hiding places. The only time they do try to hide is when there is mating aggression and then they don't hide near driftwood - they run to the forest of jungle val which is actually thick enough to fully hide them. But now that i have a stable triplet they haven't hidden in 6 months.
Well mine are tiny right now... so the leaves are actually exponentially larger than them... but yeah I'll do something to break the line of sight.

MacZ

jake37 said:
Lacking plants as it's blackwater this tank might have to do with driftwood, though.

jake37

Is blackwater proper for angelfishes? I though their natural habitat was laced with dense plants.
-
Having said that i will note that the 10 i raised from eggs (they are now 8 or 10 weeks old); never bicker; never fight; never even argue with each other. I just moved them to the 120 and the parents hate them (well the dad; mom could care less) but they still get along with each other.

MacZ said:
Lacking plants as it's blackwater this tank might have to do with driftwood, though.

Ken Kanatsu

jake37 said:
Is blackwater proper for angelfishes? I though their natural habitat was laced with dense plants.
-
Having said that i will not that the 10 i raised from eggs (they are now 8 or 10 weeks old); never bicker; never fight; never even argue with each other. I just moved them to the 120 and the parents hate them (well the dad; mom could care less) but they still get along with each other.
Blackwater isn't proper for them?

MacZ

Angelfish live in a variety of sub-biotopes in the amazon basin. Blackwater is not wrong, I've seen a lot of footage of angelfish in blackwater in the wild when helping my neighbour researching for his tank.

I don't have the time right now, but tomorrow (my timezone :D ) I'll gladly post some videos. :)

MacZ

As promised:

One can see, they prefer clear water, but it can have a really dark tint as well as many plants or quite some current.

Top Bottom