Which would you get?

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a 300 us gal tank for the same price as a 125 us gal tank.  Both come with the same setup, tank, cabinet, hood, lights, and misc other items.  My question is which one would you get?  The 300 gal would be nice but there is a lot more work involved in up keep of a tank that size.  Just curious to see what others would do.

Oh yeah and they are both used tanks.

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
Get the 300!! Although it takes a bit more work you'll SO appreciate it in the long run. The water conditions will be more stable and the fish will be much happier with more space. You'll also have the space to have shoals of fish in many varieties which is very rewarding. My big fish tank became a replacement for my television...I just sit and watch it for hours on end. Fish politics is much more interesting and funnier than people politics :

FishFyer

Reaction score
I would get the 300. U could have a much bigger amount and variety of fish (just think of the assortments). You could way bigger fish, I like arownas but they grow far to big for small tanks. However the choice is up to you it all depends if you have the space and water needed.

Patchspud

Reaction score
If you haven't already - get the big one. I disagree that its more work and you'll have a much nicer set up in the end. I'm trying to talk my parents into knocking down a wall and putting in a tank that you can see through two rooms. Not much luck yet but I won't give up. It may take a couple of years to convince them but I'll get it in the end - I usually do! ;D

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Just a little update for you all. I got the 300 gallon tank. I picked it up today. Going to be a while before it gets going, but once it does it will look sweet.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks. The hardest part is just looking at it in my garage and not setting it up because I am moving in 2 months and don't want to have to set it up and take it down that quick.

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
$300. I can't help it, it is a DEAL! plus you could have so much more in there!!

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will get the 125 gallon tank because I don't have enough space to set a 300 gallon tank, already got 4 tanks............................. :-[

Gozer_1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
300 all the way. The 300 is gonna be way easier to maintain water quality. The initial setup and water change is more work, but I'd swap my 150 for a 300 in to shakes of a jack rabbits....ears. Get a Python gravel washer that will reach your sink and voila, almost no work at all. The larger volume means your water stays healthier longer. Most importantly , however, is that the 300 will look really cool. lol

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
That is so cool, congrats!  I'm a wuss, I would have said 125.   :-[   I think I'd just feel kind of overwhelmed by a tank as big as 300.  When my boyfriend took me shopping and told me I could pick out any aquarium I wanted as a Christmas/birthday gift, I just got a 29 gallon.

I know, I know...how many of you want to slap me?   : I didn't want to get in over my head though!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'd go with the 300g. might have to wait a little while to set it up so I could get all the support equipment for it, unless everything i'd need was included. then i'd talk with timg about ways to make it into an innovative system of different sized tanks.

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd get the 300 gallon and use it as a pool while I thought about what to do with it... ;D

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
i'd have got the 300 gal too...even if I had to remove every piece of furniture from my house to make it fit!! - flbettacouple....yes the beds would HAVE to go!!! I am soooooooooo jealous! enjoy and keep us posted when you set it up and what's in there! we need pictures too!! (dont ask for much do we?!)
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tan.b said:
i'd have got the 300 gal too...even if I had to remove every piece of furniture from my house to make it fit!! - flbettacouple....yes the beds would HAVE to go!!! I am soooooooooo jealous! enjoy and keep us posted when you set it up and what's in there! we need pictures too!! (dont ask for much do we?!)
tan
how'd you know I'd say that?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom