Which Type Of Pleco Produces The Least Waste?

1. daddyalex27 Member Member

I would like a pleco but id like one that produces the least waste ive heard that there all different and the zebra ones are cleanish but im no expert on this can anybody help?

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

All plecos make a mess. Anvioisly the bigger then get the more waste but plecos are not small bioload fish. Why do you want one just curious?

3. DuaneV Member Member

The invisible kind.

4. daddyalex27 Member Member

Ive had loads but i had to give my last one away because i had discus and he waste was to much i was having to do a water change nearly everday and that was with 2x 600litre canister fliters. Ive heard that some plecs only grow like 8 inchs and theres alot less waste

5. Kapitalfisht Member Member

I have a tiger pleco (not the L-66) that's about five inches. For the longest time I thought it's growth must have been stunted because I got the fish (who's at least five years old) for free along with an aquarium, and it's never grown. However, I read that they're a smaller type of pleco. It has a healthy appetite, but nowhere near the bioload of other huge pleco varieties.

6. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Clown,bristlenose,rubberlip I would think would produce a little less waste as they will probably only reach 5-6"...I'm sure it also depends on their diet and activity if their cleaning and eating more their making more waste..good luck!

7. CHIMERA Member Member

I would say the rio negro pleco creates the least waste in general. They are very cute little things growing up to 4 inches if my memory serves me well.

8. AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Pleco's diet isn't very calorie-dense so they have to eat a lot of it. It probably has a lot of fiber/bulk. The more animal protein in a fish's diet, the more ammonia is produced so while plecos look like they're defecating a lot it's pretty innocuous.