Which Type Of Guppy? Question

1. Rosa Jacoby Initiate Member

I am going to start breeding guppies for profit... but *which type of guppy creates the biggest profit?*
    I'm going to be selling to an aquatics shop.
    Sidenote: I'm not doing it just for the money, I'm also in love with the hobby :) But need to save up some money

Thank you

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Have you asked the shops you intend to sell to what they have the greatest demand for? What sells in Kansas City may be a dud in Los Angeles.

3. Rosa Jacoby Initiate Member

Thank you, I shall ring up some shops near me and ask around

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I can tell you what I did. I found a quality shop that sells local breeder's stock. Then I gave him a list of guppies I liked a lot and asked what type he might be interested in selling. In my case it was high quality Halfblack Delta tail strains. He already has an endless supply of Tequila Sunrise and some of the semi-fancy yellow and orange varieties. One other tip. If you find somebody willing to pay you a reasonable price, don't blow the trust by offering them to all his nearby competition. If your fish are unique he/she WILL find out you just blew the trust. If you make it hard for them to sell them at a decent price you can expect a cold reception the next time you want to resupply them. Gotta think long-term becuase you aren;t going to run out of guppies to sell. You have to be mindful it's a tough retail business. I intend to start selling some of my very best stock on aquabid and ebay this fall. Only so many expensive guppies can be sold where I live. KC is much larger so who knows?

5. Rosa Jacoby Initiate Member

Thank you so much! Very helpful info :)