Which Type Of Goldfish Would Be Best?

1. KG30 Initiate Member

I read that bristlenose plecos can coexist with goldfish so long as they are well fed. I have an oranda goldfish right now with my bristlenose in my 20 gallon with no issues. Now I have I believe a 75 gallon tank. I am trying to decide if I want to go the shubunkin goldfish route or oranda, ryukin goldfish route. I read the faster shubunkins cannot be matched with the slower fancy goldfish. I have two questions.

1.Will the shubunkins outgrow the bristlenose plecos and eat them or can they coexist like they can with the orandas?

2. Is there any way I can put together the shubunkins and orandas by maybe feeding them both floating and sinking food at different areas of the tank?
  2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

Fancy goldfish will not be able to eat a full grown BN pleco and I can not see them trying to.

As for keeping the different kinds of fancies, when feeding them don't do floating foods. They have a tendency to gulp air and that often causes swim bladder issues. If you take flakes and water log them so they sink that would probably be best. You can also feed sinking pellets and algae wafers. Goldfish seem to love picking at the bottom of their tank anyways. I don't think you will have too much of an issue with getting food to either kind if you sink the food and spread it out a bit.

Edit: wasn't too sure if shubunkins were fancies or not, so yeah keeping singled tailed goldies with fancies is not the best idea, for reasons stated below ;)

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Shubunkins are singletail goldfish, not fancies.

I would not keep any kind of goldfish with a BN pleco because of temperature incompatibility.

Mixing singletails and fancies is not a good idea for a few reasons
    1) If your fancy is female and the shubunkin you get is male then when they try to spawn the shubunkin will chase the fancy. Shubunkins are a lot faster and the fancy will struggle to get away which will obviously be stressful for your fancy.
    2) As singletails are a lot faster they will get to the food first.
    3) It is very easy for singletails to bully fancies.

Also a shubunkin needs a much bigger tank than a 75 gallon.