Which Type Of Anemone (if Possible) Should I Get?

24Bryce

I have a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium with a Snowflake clownfish and a Coral beauty angelfish. The lighting a 24in 50/50 coral life bulb on a 48 inch long aquarium but it only runs Bright no night time setting with the fixture (Non-changeable spectrum). The water parimeters I have for the Aquarium fit with the fish I have. I have dry live rock, Aqua clear 70, Marineland c220 and a hydror powerhead, I do use RODI water. If the tank would be able to House coral or a anemone which type would I be able to get? If not, what would I need to change with the aquarium and what speical kits or water additivies would I need to get? Thanks!

Tony_097

How long has your tank been running for?anemones like established tanks

24Bryce

Tony_097 said:
How long has your tank been running for?anemones like established tanks
It has been running for months, I think a little more than half a year or close to it. I upgraded from a 40 to a 55 and used all the water from the old one and the bio media, dry live rock, even the same sand, and used it in this tank, all I did was add some new water in this one and It has been running for 3 to 4 months, I don't know if this helps either but it does appear I do have some coralline alage also. It is on my rocks

Tony_097

24Bryce

Tony_097 said:
Well then you can go with the most popular nem the bubble tip anemone
So what I have running with the tank (lighting) will work and would I have to do anything special to the water?

Tony_097

Searched up the light as I have never used it and I would say a better light is needed

24Bryce

Tony_097 said:
Searched up the light as I have never used it and I would say a better light is needed
What light would you recommend?

Jesterrace

Is the coral life a T5HO (High Out put non-LED fluorescent bulbs)? If so then it should be fine provided it covers the whole length of the tank. If it's anything less then it probably needs an upgrade. The cheapest option is probably the a couple of the 165 watt chinese black box lights (ie Mars Aqua) from Amazon.

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
Is the coral life a T5HO (High Out put non-LED fluorescent bulbs)? If so then it should be fine provided it covers the whole length of the tank. If it's anything less then it probably needs an upgrade. The cheapest option is probably the a couple of the 165 watt chinese black box lights (ie Mars Aqua) from Amazon.
I got the fluval aquasky 48 inch led strip that I can control the lighting on, would that work?

Tony_097

I have heard bad reviews on that light I don't really use fluval products so I'm not 100% sure might have to look at some reviews and info about that light.

Jesterrace

A 48 inch LED strip won't cut it for Corals or 'Nems. As mentioned above a pair of the Chinese Black Box Lights is probably your best bet:

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
A 48 inch LED strip won't cut it for Corals or 'Nems. As mentioned above a pair of the Chinese Black Box Lights is probably your best bet:
I looked at that one, I might get that one but I looked at a fluval marine light that says it can support corals.

Tony_097

It can support they easier to care soft corals pretty much any light dedicated to photo synthetic creatures can support the easiest to care softies

24Bryce

Tony_097 said:
It can support they easier to care soft corals pretty much any light dedicated to photo synthetic creatures can support the easiest to care softies
Alright, I would like a strip than is 48 inches of having to hang something, would the orbit marine led be a good choice or what would be around 120 besides mars aqua

MomeWrath

the Current Orbit Marine LED will support loft and LPS coral, but I wouldn't put anything but a rock flower nem in there for an anemone, which won't host the clown (it will eat her). I had one 48" and one 36" of those on my 75 gallon tank and kept soft and LPS coral successfully with excellent growth for over three years. Just tore it down for time-commitment reasons a week ago. If you really want a hosting anemone, you should go big on the lights. I had a rock flower under my Orbit lights, but it really didn't do well.
If you're just looking for something for your clown to snuggle with, try a green frilly/hairy mushroom, some pink xenia, or waving hands anthelia. Any of those should be attractive to your clown and won't require a lighting upgrade other than making sure you have that 50/50 covering the length of the tank.

24Bryce

Magicpenny75 said:
the Current Orbit Marine LED will support loft and LPS coral, but I wouldn't put anything but a rock flower nem in there for an anemone, which won't host the clown (it will eat her). I had one 48" and one 36" of those on my 75 gallon tank and kept soft and LPS coral successfully with excellent growth for over three years. Just tore it down for time-commitment reasons a week ago. If you really want a hosting anemone, you should go big on the lights. I had a rock flower under my Orbit lights, but it really didn't do well.
If you're just looking for something for your clown to snuggle with, try a green frilly/hairy mushroom, some pink xenia, or waving hands anthelia. Any of those should be attractive to your clown and won't require a lighting upgrade other than making sure you have that 50/50 covering the length of the tank.
What light would be able to host a bubble tip anenome, would the black box above work or what light would be able to host a anenomr?

MomeWrath

24Bryce said:
What light would be able to host a bubble tip anenome, would the black box above work or what light would be able to host a anenomr?
I'm sorry I couldn't say. I was always scared to try one - heard too many stories about them crawling into a powerhead and nuking the tank. My orange and black ocellaris pair hosted in pink pulsating xenia and laid eggs twice a month so it made them happy and I was happy.

24Bryce

Alright, so the Orbit light would work if I went with it, also I have a coral beauty anglefish, would he nip at any corals, I know they are known to do that. Hes in a 55 gallon tank.

Jesterrace

24Bryce said:
Alright, so the Orbit light would work if I went with it, also I have a coral beauty anglefish, would he nip at any corals, I know they are known to do that. Hes in a 55 gallon tank.
I wouldn't go with the Orbit, they are dI'm by comparison to the black box lights and 'nems generally need very bright light to do well. The Black Boxes would be better as they are much more powerful full spectrum lights.

MomeWrath

Jesterrace said:
I wouldn't go with the Orbit, they are dI'm by comparison to the black box lights and 'nems generally need very bright light to do well. The Black Boxes would be better as they are much more powerful full spectrum lights.
Agreed! I honestly think the light was the reason my rock flower did poorly, even though they require less light than a RBTA for sure. Fine for easy coral, not so much for nems!

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
So would the mars aqua work and what would the watts need to be? The one on the link is 165. Also, what other good black boxes would you recommend for a 55 gallon long

Tony_097

I would do 2 for a 55g

24Bryce

Tony_097

The 165 watt light

Jesterrace

I agree 2 of the Chinese Black Boxes would be much better for a 'nem. A Condy BTA is probably your best bet for a starter as they tend to be a bit more hardy.

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
I agree 2 of the Chinese Black Boxes would be much better for a 'nem. A Condy BTA is probably your best bet for a starter as they tend to be a bit more hardy.
Alright, I'll probably get that. But I was watching a bulkreef supply video and the recommended the 48 inch sunblaze t5 (2-4 lights for moderate coral, 6-8 for all) would that be good at all. And if so how many bulbs and what type of bulbs would I need to buy?

Jesterrace

The T5 lights are great lights, but for a 4 foot tank a multibulb replacement is costly (ie $80). Generally the bulbs are good for 12-18 months (more with other fixtures). In this case though by the time you factor in the cost of the fixture and one bulb replacement you are WAY OVER the cost of a a pair of Black Boxes.

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
The T5 lights are great lights, but for a 4 foot tank a multibulb replacement is costly (ie $80). Generally the bulbs are good for 12-18 months (more with other fixtures). In this case though by the time you factor in the cost of the fixture and one bulb replacement you are WAY OVER the cost of a a pair of Black Boxes.
Alright, I asked my dad (only 15) and he said when tax returns happen then he'll get black boxes, for for right now I'll just run the light I had before and wait on the corals, ive gotts get rid of a ich problem and raise my ph anyway (dropped back down)

Jesterrace

Ich won't affect corals, just make sure your fish are properly QT'ed with one of the recommended methods and your fish should be fine.

24Bryce

Jesterrace said:
Ich won't affect corals, just make sure your fish are properly QT'ed with one of the recommended methods and your fish should be fine.
Ok, how would I raise the ph? I'm only using test strips but it was 8.3 before and it has dropped and I have already tried the air stone and it has stayed the same

Jesterrace

Water change is usually the best way, although I wouldn't trust test strips. I think all too often people focus on the pH numbers in saltwater when weekly partial water changes will take care of it in and of itself.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom