Which Tetras Would You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by FoulFishes, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Honestly, I never really thought Tetras were that cool compared to some of the other small schooling fish. But I am creating an Amazon River Basin biotope aquarium soon and I have found two species of Tetras that I really like. Would you suggest Emperor Tetras, or Rummy Nose Tetras? I feel that both are equally interesting for different reasons. I'd like to hear the opinions of other members whether they have both, just one species, or have seen them in an aquarium before. Both would be awesome, but at my LFS thats about $20 per school of fish. I am interested to hear what other members think of these fish. :)

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you seen black neons? My personal favorite. Not to make life more complicated by throwing in more choices, but just sayin' lol

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the other fish you want. Rummies are very shy and would prefer slower, more docile fish. They're often kept with discus for that reason.

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I love black neons as well, xD... anyways I have never owned either of the 2 breeds your wanting... but from what i have heard I like the Rummies :)

5. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

love my rummies

6. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I like the emperors.

7. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

There is a fish called the Purple Emperor Tetra (AKA the Kerri Tetra). They also look great in schools.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Black neons are my favorite tetras too - excellent schoolers and they make the colors of other fish pop.

$20 for a school isn't bad. My denison barbs were $20 each (only recently have farmed fish become available - I will not be buying wild again).

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I've really enjoyed having Blue Kerri Tetras aka Emperor Tetra. However, if your filtration has an over flow box, not a good species to choose. The fish end up in the filter.

starhanging.gif Foulfishes, if you would please, complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks! Keep us posted.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I like Black Neons too, but I think they might be a little on the small side for this set up, plus I must admit I prefer these two just a bit better lol. They would've been my third choice though.
    Here is the stock list:

Angelfish
    Bolivian Ram Cichlid
    Julii Corydoras
    Bristlenose Plecostomus
    *Tetras (Rummys, Emperors, or both)

Both are from the Amazon, although they are found in very different areas, hope the stocking list helps.

11. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

What size of tank is this for? This may influence which fish is best suited to your tank with your current stocking list in mind.

12. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I haven't made an exact decision yet, because I wanted to plan size around the stocking. Unfortunately I can't get a huge wall-sized tank, so I was thinking just getting one Angel and one Ram to cut down on aggression and to keep enough space so every fish can clain a chunk of territory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice