30 Gallon Tank Which tetra is best???

blennylover2323

so I am going to get a school of tetras to go along with my Bolivian ram and mystery snails. but what type of tetras should I get? i want a peaceful school with no fin nippers and a vibrant colourful look that stands out from the green plants. what would you get??

Troutmaster07

blennylover2323 said:
so I am going to get a school of tetras to go along with my Bolivian ram and mystery snails. but what type of tetras should I get? i want a peaceful school with no fin nippers and a vibrant colourful look that stands out from the green plants. what would you get??
I have a tank of neons, and a tank of blackskirts/goldskirts. The neons are super chill and the blackskirts can have a little bit of a attitude sometimes. But both look good against the green of my plants..

redmare

Well Known
Honestly, neons are some of the most beautiful fish out there. You could get quite a large school of them and they would be stunning in a planted tank.

redmare

Well Known
How many bolivians and snails do you have? If it were me with a pair or two pairs of rams, I would do 25 at least. Some would consider that overstocked though.

Troutmaster07

15962458504052081984841440124876.jpg
redmare said:
Honestly, neons are some of the most beautiful fish out there. You could get quite a large school of them and they would be stunning in a planted tank.
I think so too. My plants are just starting to come in good, I'm new to the plant growing but not the fish keeping and I've just now figured out how to make the things grow!!

Troutmaster07

redmare said:
How many bolivians and snails do you have? If it were me with a pair or two pairs of rams, I would do 25 at least. Some would consider that overstocked though.
Not me...lol. its worth the little extra upkeep to have a big blue school to watch.

Troutmaster07

JettsPapa said:
Serpae tetras look really good in a planted tank, and as long as you get 8 or more you shouldn't have any issues with harassing their tank mates.
I just looked Shera tetras up, they are beautiful.

redmare

Well Known
Serpaes are totally stunning, but in my humble opinion I would save those guys for an aquarium big enough to get like 20+ of them. Definitely an option though! They're one of my favourites.

Tol

Well Known
I have 12 Neons in my planted 29 with some other fish and thinking of adding a few more actually. They are great because they are cheap, look nice and the more you add the better they get. I would think a 33 Long with only a Bolivian and a few Mystery snails would be able to hold quite a few. There is a video I saw on youtube a while back with a 180 gallon tank that has 600 Neons in it. Cardinals are a solid choice too, a little bigger and I think like slightly warmer water. They are a little more expensive than Neons, but if the store had Cardinals the day I went to get them, I would have bought them. Instead I went home with Neons and was not disappointed

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

love all the advice and suggestions!! I think I will go for Cardinals tetras and get 15 of them. thanks for all the help!!

Tol

Well Known
I really like Congo Tetra too. I have never kept them, but I think they look pretty awesome. They get a bit bigger, like 3 to 4 inches I think. Some of the stores here have them in display tanks and they look fantastic.

Tol

Well Known
blennylover2323 said:
love all the advice and suggestions!! I think I will go for Cardinals tetras and get 15 of them. thanks for all the help!!
That should work out nicely! Not sure what color substrate you have but the colors really pop with darker substrate as well. Enjoy them :)

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
qldmick said:
I vote cardinal tetras, their like a better version of neons.
Cardinals do seem best with fewer disease problems (but not immune) and a better tolerance to the higher temperatures that we tend to keep. They also grow a little larger in my experience.

However, Neon Tetras have the coolest name.

They also have silver included in their colours and I can tell all my Neons individually whereas my Cardinal Tetras are hard to tell apart.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
I have no idea whether this would always be the case, but something I have noticed is that my Neon Tetras swim towards the front of the tank and my Cardinal Tetras tend to hide at the back. Maybe Cardinals are slightly more timid, though both will do better without fish that intimidate them.

New Threads