Which Substrate Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by RyleighJ, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Right now, I have a single tank with a fancy-tail goldfish, a mystery snail, and an African clawed frog. In the next month or so I plan on moving my ACF to his own tank and leaving the others where they are.

Which substrate would be best for each of these tanks? I love sand, but I don't know if it would be good for my setup. And do you need any kind of special filter with sand? I don't really know what kind of filter I have, but it has a little pipe with slits it that sucks in the water. Is that okay for sand?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

If you like sand, I would say use sand as your substrate. Can you take a picture of the filter?

3. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I'll take the pic as soon as I get home!

4. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have live plants, and I'd like to get something good for them too!

5. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pics of my filter!

6. aquatickeeper

It might, I'll just put a filter sponge or a filter floss and wrap it around the intake just in case.

7. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

I went to the store today and ended up buying substrate meant specifically for planted aquariums. I think it looks great!

8. aquatickeeper

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice