Which Substrate For Planted Tank

alpha34

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello All...So I have 15gallon tank and l'm looking to build a planted tank....So I'm confused between Platinum aquarium Soil & controsoil both are volcanic based soil. Not sure which one to choose.
I don't want to use ADA Amazonia soil as my tank is already established and I read that this soil does leech lot of ammonia which might crash my already established tank.
Any advice would be helpful.

Soham

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello All...So I have 15gallon tank and l'm looking to build a planted tank....So I'm confused between Platinum aquarium Soil & controsoil both are volcanic based soil. Not sure which one to choose.
I don't want to use ADA Amazonia soil as my tank is already established and I read that this soil does leech lot of ammonia which might crash my already established tank.
Any advice would be helpful.
Better go for Ada Amazonia... best for planted tanks.... and if ur planning to set up a new planted aquarium how can it be established already?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im my opinion Any Aquasoil is best the brand itself doesnt really matter. However all of them will leech ammonia and lower you ph not only ADA.

I had ADA in 1 tank that lasted 2 yrs before i got a bigger 5ank and a chinese brand thats lasted for almost 3 yrs now in my 110g and is still good.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Second the eco-complete covered with BDBS.

All my tanks are planted and 2 have sand over soil. My best growth, lowest maintenance, lowest algae tank is eco-complete covered with black flourite, covered with BDBS.

That tanks plant growth and low maintenance led me to use this same substrate in my office tank that I wanted to be low maintenance.

But it’s not the cheapest option.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom