Which sub-species of apple snails do I have

• Thread starter MupsIsLife
  • Start date

MupsIsLife

Hello, recently I bought two small apple snails for my 15 gallon planted aquarium. The tank had to be cycled first so I temporarily put them with my baby guppies in a 8 gallon. A few days ago I transferred them to my 15 gallon because it was finally cycled but after doing some research I read that you have different sub-species from Apple snails and some eat plants and others don’t. Now I’m kinda worried that maybe mine eat plants. They where just labelled as apple snails but they might be from the sub-species mystery snails because we don’t have a specific name for that sub-species in my language so they are all labelled as just apple snails. I read that you can tell from shell shape so I caught one of the two and took some pictures. I assume they are both of the same species because I got them from the same store at the same time just a different color. Can anyone identify which subspecies I have? I made a lot of pictures lol. Kind regards Mups.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Yup it's a plain old mystery snail. Looks to be the magenta color form. I've never seen other species of apple snails for sale, only the mysteries. I think finding the plant eating kind will be pretty difficult unless you look online. Your plants are safe.

MupsIsLife

Okay that’s great to hear! Thanks for the answer :D. I also feed them some blanched cucumber every day so they definitely won’t try to eat my plants.

Top Bottom