Which Stores Take Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by happygolucky, Aug 1, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

So I have 3 Serpae Tetras in a 5 gallon tank......and before you say anything just know that I was obviously not the smartest fish keeper and I actually took PetSmart employees' advice. I need a place to give these Tetras to because my 10 gallon is reserved for Sparkling Gourami's and they would not mingle too well, and my 5 gallon is obviously limiting the happiness and wellbeing of these fish by a lot. My best bet is to just give them away to a place that can properly handle them. Does anyone know of any chain stores(Petco, PetClub, PetSmart) that take fish, or would I have to find some small store, and convince them to take these fish?

In case anyone's wondering, these fish have survived in a tiny tank that was never cycled, and they've survived for over 8 months(it's a miracle lol).

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Those big box stores usually don't but the small LFS usually do. My LFS took the ones that didn't fit in my original 10g. Perhaps you can call around to a LFS first? Do you have any where you live?

3. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ugh I was looking around and the one closest closed down recently :(. I can keep looking and I'll call. I'm afraid to give them to friends(if they even want them) because they would probably mistreat them as I did.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What about Craigslist?

5. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I agree with el337 LFS are probably the best, plus they usually have nicer tanks good luck :)

6. slade

slade Valued Member Member

Your best bet is to post them in a fish forum like this. Unfortunately most members will not be in your local area.
    I've always had an easy time posting them for free or cheap on Craigslist.

7. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

This!

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

PetSmart has a 30 day return policy, or did you pass this period already?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. lwill

lwill Valued Member Member

Look up your local aquarium society. Mine has a Facebook where I can post what I'm looking for or trying to get rid of. It's a great way to get local information without the creepy factor of craigslist (imho).

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I believe Petsmart will take them and place them up for adoption. I would call and ask to speak to the aquatics manager.

11. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

petco will take "fish donations". i have a fish store near me that will buy fish at 1/3 the price they sell them. which is a decent deal since their fish are overpriced haha

12. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

These are old fish, I've had them 8+ months. The people at PetSmart suggested taking them to a pet adoption clinic. I'll try that, and if worst comes to worst, I'll just keep them until they live out their lives.

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Put them on Craigslist like others have suggested. If you find someone who is interested ask what size tank they have so you know that won't be back in the situation they are in now.

14. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Personally id avoid craigslist. To many creepers imo.

15. BDpups

Creepers looking for fish? Seriously? Use some common sense and if you find a taker, meet them in a public place....

I got a 2 month Magnum 350 for $30 off Craigslist this week. I'm using it as a water polisher and could not be happier with it.

16. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Who said they would be looking for fish?

17. BDpups

Wow. Live in your paranoid world then.....

18. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Craiglist works been selling items on there for 4years on it. Thats were i sell all my mbuna fry.

19. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Ok I'll make an ad, Craigslist is always sketchy though lol.

20. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Or join a fish group on fb. Those or better if you have one locally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice