Which Stocking For 20 Long? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ravynn, Jun 25, 2019.

1. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys, just wondering what I should do to finalize the stock on my 1 1/2 yr old 20g long.

Current stock:
    1x male honey gourami
    4x black kuhli
    5x striped kuhli
    some shrimp/snails

[​IMG]

I was wondering what stocking I should go with to finalize it all ...

1x long fin blue eyed bn/albino bn
    2x honey gourami
    4x black kuhli
    5x striped kuhli
    shrimp/snails

or this?

3-4x honey gourami
    4x black kuhli
    5x striped kuhli
    shrimp/snails

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Either one would be fine. Do you not want any schooling fish for the top? You have room.

3. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I prefer the second option. Imo, you'll get interesting behaviors when you keep honey gouramis in a group. Either way, I agree with @Anders247 that either options would work fine.

4. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I didn't know what kind would be suitable. The plants have grown in slightly above halfway the height of the tank and I don't want any schooling fish that would always hide in the plants, you know? Of course if anyone has any suggestions... then on the other hand, I do really like the blue eyed bristlenose.

Have you ever kept them in a group? I've read a lot of people recommending a group but I can never find anyone sharing their experience with it. Getting more than 2 makes me a little nervous because i'm not the best at sexing them since they're the gold honey gourami variety but seeing multiple of them interact sounds really neat.

5. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I used to keep 6 in a 30. I had a mixed sex and one of the males was in breeding colors. Other than that, they do really well together, including males.

6. imbaWell Known MemberMember

I would also pick option 2 and get the honeys some friends.

Another suggestion is adding a small group of galaxy rasboras. Maybe 8 or so if you wanna keep bioload low. They are shoaling fish and since your tank looks quite well planted, you will find them to be really outgoing and active. I keep 12 in my 20g planted community with my solo honey gourami, together with some corydoras hastatus.

7. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

You know what, that's an awesome idea. I think it'll go with this stocking plan. I never considered galaxy rasboras before because my local store never gets them but i've been ordering from a store in another city and they have all kinds of nano fish.

How does your honey get along with the rasboras?

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Galaxy rasboras are also called celestial pearl danios, btw, so if you don't see them labeled as galaxy rasboras look for CPDs.

9. imbaWell Known MemberMember

No issues, and they've been together for more than 6 months. They coexist well and eat the same food. My male honey has 0 aggression in him.

For your 20 long, I'd be inclined to go with 12 rasboras or more, say 5 males and 7 females.