Which Sponge Filters And Air Pump For 10 Gallon Divided Betta Tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by BettaBliss, Jan 28, 2019.

1. BettaBliss

BettaBlissValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +195
    Experience:
    3 years
  2. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Experience:
    1 year
    Any of those you mentioned will work.

If it were mine, I would use the larger Tetra 20 air pump.

If you have access to Amazon Prime, they have these filter options also that come in bundled packs for $10-$13....

short

medium

Glass Mount

Also, you may want to consider a Fluval Q1 air pump, they can be found online at Petsmart, Chewy, Amazon etc for $15.

I have 2. They have dual outlets, so it's easy to hook up multiple air stones/sponge filters to them.

They have good air volume output also.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,252
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You could use a mattenfilter as a tank divider, and kill two birds with one stone. If you aren't sure what that is, check out this link Mattenfilter Shop - SWISSTROPICALS
    You just put the filter in the middle and use the lifter to flow from one side to the other. I don't work for these people, I just really really believe in their filters. This type of filter would reduce cost for you and then you'd only need one air pump running. He's also super responsive if you email him with questions. Very nice to work with. And supporting a small business besides.:)

4. OP
    OP
    BettaBliss

BettaBlissValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +195
    Experience:
    3 years
    That does sound like a cool idea! I may stick with my original idea though, I'm not sure. Thank you for the information! I only want to use one heater. How does this mattenfilter do with only one heater? Will the heat be able to move to both sides of the tank? The mattenfilter looks quite thick.

5. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,252
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes it is porous all the way through and the water flows through it. There is a link on that page that you can read more about them - very informative. But for example, I have a mattenfilter with a 300 GPH pump behind it in my 75 gallon tank. It is 3" thick and allows 300 GPH to go through, so the 1.5" in the 10 gallon tank ought to allow plenty of flow.

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,695
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    are the sponge filters I use. The price can't be beat and the ebay seller has always treated me right. I have 2 in both my 55 and 10 gallon tanks. Since the tanks are in two different rooms I run 2 dual outlet air pumps.

You could also run a single outlet pump if you have one and just use a splitter to run 2 filters. I actually bought a very inexpensive no name dual outlet air pump from the same ebay seller and it is serving me well. Fortunately air pumps really aren't very expensive.

7. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +688
    Experience:
    Just started
    IMO, the most cost-effective and pleasing-to-the-eye sponge filter is a DIY one-- You can make it with a mini mason jar, terracotta pot, or really anything that has a cup shape. I can't exactly explain how to make it, but if you search "Lifewithpets DIY Sponge Filter" on youtube there is a step-by-step video on how to make it. I prefer these because they're cheap, easy to make, customizable (adding whatever media you pick) and look better than traditional sponge filters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though. :)

8. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +278
    The beauty of sponge filters is that pretty much any sponge like material you can push air into will work. Those three all look fine, I've recently become enamored with Azoos, but mostly it comes down to personal preference, I like a coarser sponge and avoid suction cups like the plague. I see them recommended a lot so they must work for some people, but sooner or later a suction cup is bound to fail, gravity is more reliable.

For pumps, I like Aquatops, they're smaller, quieter, not kitschy 90's post-modern, and, most importantly, not bright blue. If you're going to get a Whisper I would just buy the largest size before a major price jump; the increase in power consumption is marginal and you can bleed off whatever pressure you don't need, while leaving yourself room to expand.

All that being said, a matten filter divider would be my first choice.