Which Species Of Snakehead Are Eaten And Which Are Not?

abc123userabc123

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know this is a weird question, but I am planning to get snakeheads and am aware that some species are valuable food fish. I just have this mentality that I dislike keeping fish that are also valuable as food. Therefore I would rather keep species that are not eaten or have little food value. Any of you have knowledge? Thanks!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Snakeheads are native to Asian, and as an Asian I know we eat everything. We even eat the fish eyes. And the fish air bladder. And suck on the back of the skull, all the yummy brain juices.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All can be eaten. People even eat lion fish. In some country's dogs and cats are a food source. We eat cow as a staple food here in the US, in India there worshiped. If your worried about keeping a pet that gets eaten by people somewhere, you'd be hard pressed to find such a pet. Mabee a tree, or pet rock would be good for you. Lol

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All can be eaten. People even eat lion fish. In some country's dogs and cats are a food source. We eat cow as a staple food here in the US, in India there worshiped. If your worried about keeping a pet that gets eaten by people somewhere, you'd be hard pressed to find such a pet. Mabee a tree, or pet rock would be good for you. Lol
As a vegan, i eat trees and rocks (especially the pet kind) on a daily basis. Nothing is safe.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let’s not get sidetracked, the Op’s question is about fish not cows or trees, please stay on topic.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let’s not get sidetracked, the Op’s question is about fish not cows or trees, please stay on topic.
I was on topic. OP doesn't want to keep a fish that's used as food. Almost all fish (wild types) are eaten.
Oh yeah haha, I'm just curious in which species are traded for aquarium and which are traded as food
Quite sure you can find all species in the aquarium trade.

Kalyke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Where can you keep them legally? I mean as pet fish and not food. I am in the US and most states I have lived in they have been illegal to possess for a while. For instance in Texas, all snakeheads are illegal, except those that are dead (used as food) and only with the stomach and intestines removed (gutted). This means that live snakeheads cannot be brought in unless they are pre-gutted. I am sure zoos have some kind of permit they can get for exhibition animals. If you live in England, or another place, you have different rules, so knowing where you are planning to keep the snakehead is part of the conversation.

So -- this does not answer the question, which was, which snakeheads are used for food? I would think the ones that are dead and gutted.

You can find out which are legal to keep in the pet industry by contacting people who import them where you live because they would not be allowed to import them if they are illegal where you live.

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
(Disclamer: probably wrong) The bigger species are more frequently eaten such as C. striata and C. maculata. Unsuitable for home aquariums, growing more than like a meter/yard long. the "dwarf" species that are commonly found are rarely eaten because they "only" grow a foot long. Pretty sure they are eaten in Southeast asia.
Where can you keep them legally? I mean as pet fish and not food. I am in the US and most states I have lived in they have been illegal to possess for a while. For instance in Texas, all snakeheads are illegal, except those that are dead (used as food) and only with the stomach and intestines removed (gutted). This means that live snakeheads cannot be brought in unless they are pre-gutted. I am sure zoos have some kind of permit they can get for exhibition animals. If you live in England, or another place, you have different rules, so knowing where you are planning to keep the snakehead is part of the conversation.

So -- this does not answer the question, which was, which snakeheads are used for food? I would think the ones that are dead and gutted.

You can find out which are legal to keep in the pet industry by contacting people who import them where you live because they would not be allowed to import them if they are illegal where you live.
Yea, pretty sure you are aware of this. there are like 20 states where it is completely illeagal to own them, and the rest is probably where you can own them but not import/export or breed them. Where are you located?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did a bit of research. The giant snakehead is most commonly served and eaten. However, all the snakehead species are being found in ecosystems there not native too, an invasive species. Because of this , anglers are catching them and eating them a lot more.

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did a bit of research. The giant snakehead is most commonly served and eaten. However, all the snakehead species are being found in ecosystems there not native too, an invasive species. Because of this , anglers are catching them and eating them a lot more.
just read an article how resturants are serving more and more snakeheads. Wonder what they taste like!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just read an article how resturants are serving more and more snakeheads. Wonder what they taste like!
Apparently there pretty good, based on what I was reading. A quick google search on snakehead fish taste test netted a wealth of opinions on there taste.

abc123userabc123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Saw that too
Thanks for the info! Funny how I can't find much information on which exact species are food fish

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info! Funny how I can't find much information on which exact species are food fish
Where are you located? If you’re in the US, then forget it. All species are illegal to keep. Period. There are some dwarf species that get eaten, too, I imagine. Some do stay around 4” but I can’t recall the species.

As far as avoiding food fish—all fish are eaten. Oscars, piranhas, etc., are all eaten by the people who live in their native range. Even Kissing Gouramies are farmed as food fish believe it or not, as well as Iridescent Shark which is commonly eaten in the US but renamed as swai. I’ve eaten triggerfish, bergals, and among others that are pretty popular saltwater pets, but one of the best eating fish in the sea.

abc123userabc123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you’re in the US, then forget it. All species are illegal to keep. Period. There are some dwarf species that get eaten, too, I imagine. Some do stay around 4” but I can’t recall the species.

As far as avoiding food fish—all fish are eaten. Oscars, piranhas, etc., are all eaten by the people who live in their native range. Even Kissing Gouramies are farmed as food fish believe it or not, as well as Iridescent Shark which is commonly eaten in the US but renamed as swai. I’ve eaten triggerfish, bergals, and among others that are pretty popular saltwater pets, but one of the best eating fish in the sea.
Southeast Asia. Snakehead are completely legal here

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom