Which snails are a good choice for sand? Question

1. Dark Sky Member Member

I have a few Ramshorns happily roaming around in my gravel substrate tank, I popped one in my sand tank to see how he'd go... he didn't like the sand very much at all...

While I've been keeping this tank minimally planted some green spot algae has started to come back. I hope to find MTS locally in the near future to help keep the sand turned over, but what would be a good option for patrolling the glass? Locally (in Aus) I've only seen Ramshorns and Mystery snails, none of the fancier ones I read a lot about on here, but, I'm sure if I searched a little harder I'd be able to hunt them down.

So, are there snails who will happily walk across sand? ...or do they just learn to hang on to the sides better so they don't fall off?!! Thanks.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I think most snails adapt to sand. I've had everything from pond/ramshorn/mystery/nerite snails/MTS snails and all of them adapted just fine.

Nerites are a good choice for getting rid of your algae. They also do not breed in fresh water tanks. Another plus! :)

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you want a snail to stir your sand the Mts are the way to go, however they do breed quite quickly if you overfeed your tank.
    Nerite snail larvae won't survive in freshwater so you won't have to worry about them breeding but if you have females they will lay eggs on wood & glass which are very hard to get off

4. Dark Sky Member Member

I wouldn't mind trying to find some MTS, the sand isn't that deep, but the idea of nasty pockets forming is a bit scary, so I'm just thinking in terms of preventative maintenance.

As for Nerites, I haven't seen or heard of them locally, unless they're known by another name.

5. emmynk Well Known Member Member

What about japaneese trapdoors? I like them :) they don't breed like rabbits like the rest. And they get pretty big. :)
    But I agree with junne any snail will adapt.
    Also I love nerites but the eggs are so annoying. Not just on glass and wood--- on anything! I have eggs all over the stems of my plants, the glass, the heater, my driftwood ,my filter..

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Just one nerite. Mine never lays eggs. Either that or they get eaten.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Nerites are often called tiger snails or zebra snails

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I'm probably in the minority when I say I like the nerite eggs XD they look kind of like little embellishments on the wood... that's mostly where mine lays hers.

I have a ton of ramshorns in my sand tank. I had one that actually grew big, and then when she died suddenly I noticed there were babies everywhere... I can't rightly recall if they really go on the substrate like my nerite and mystery snail do, but they seem happy enough.

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes and no. I have ( had ) two tanks running and both orignally were added the same amount of mts snails. I believe it was around 3-4. While I only feed my fish every other day, once, the 36 gallon was fine. It was not overrun with MTS snails. My 6.6 fluval edge was another s tory. Same thing. Single Betta and millions of MTS snails. I only feed him once every other day, 3 pellets of the NLS betta formula. BUT, the breeding was out of control in that tank. I believe it was because even though both tanks had identical waters, the Betta tank has heat cranked up to 82 degrees while the main tank was at 78 degrees. So I don't think overfeeding was the case here ;)

Personally, I have never heard of a fellow fishlore member having this happen. I think it CAN happen if you have very deep sandbeds but I think for the most part, most people do not have more than 3 inches of sand to start with.

My Nerites ( I have 4 of them that were egg layers ) were quite active in leaving eggs all over the tank. This went on for a good 8 months or so. Then it stopped....... I have not seen any eggs in the tank for about a year. I've had these Nerites for 2 + years. I wonder if they just "stop" after awhile.......

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't forget the tracked and horned nerites!

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes the horned ones are my favorite! I have 8 of them now and 4 of them are the bumblebee horned. They are so cute! And whats so endearing is, the female totes around the male on her back all day!

CSC_0395-1.jpg

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wish my petco or petsmart carried horned nerites, mine has every type except those.:(

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I bought these from Amazon. :) I've had them for 11 months now and they are still the same pea sized as when I got them. They don't grow very big ( if any ) but they are so darned cute! :)

14. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Just adding my experience, which is that while I DO get anaerobic sand (black underneath; pull it up and it goes back to normal color), I have never had any gas bubbles to kill fish. My sand is quite deep, probably at least 3, maybe even 4 inches in some spots--I was going for a FWDSB, but I was worried it wasn't QUITE deep enough. So I just go through once a month and rummage around in the sand myself during a water change. Bubbles come out, and my hands smell like iron, but my fish have been fine.

15. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As long as the sand isn't too deep & you give it a gentle stir when you're doing maintenance anaerobic pockets shouldn't be a problem.
    I've never had any but my sand is only about an inch deep at most.

16. Dark Sky Member Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! The sand is only about 1 - 1 1/2" deep, perhaps a little more around the edges of a little cave, just to blend it in, so maybe in resent worry about MTS after all...
    It was interesting to read of Ramshorns adapting to sand, because mine was definitely not a happy camper when he went in. He crawled in the glass for a bit then jumped off, when his feet hit the sand re recoiled in horror and retracted into his shell, taking a shoe-full of sand with him. I put him back in the gravel aquarium and it took him nearly a fully day to venture out again. Perhaps I'll give them another try...