Which snails and snail care?

mackenziem
Hi,
I have a 55L (I think 14-15g) tank with my baby fancy goldfish in it and seeing as I won't have enough room for another fish, I want to get a snail or two.

I don't know much about them but every time I go to the pet shop I see so many different kinds and I wouldn't have a clue what ones would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Don't mind whether I get two of same breed, two different ones or just one just as long as it is unlikely they breed if I got two (friend had a goldfish tank when we were like younger and she got one snail which turned into hundreds very quickly...).

I also don't really have any algae around my tank so I am assuming I'd need to buy some food for it? What do you feed them? Trying to get my fish interested in veggies (eg spinach and romaine lettuce) so would it eat those?

Thanks

Advertisement
BonBon
Unless you are planning to rehome the goldfish eventually, don't get anything else. If you are rehoming the goldfish, get a mystery snail. I love them because they are all beautiful, but they are unique and you can tell them apart. Plus they are big and you can see their individual personalities. They also are really easy to control their population, because they lay large egg sacks above the surface of the water.

Advertisement
el337
I don't think the snails that won't breed will be temp compatible in this setup as the goldfish likes it in the 60's and nerites/mystery snails will prefer mid to high 70s.

mackenziem
Oh okay I didn't really think about the different temperatures, and no I, not rehousing him but will be upgrading tank as soon as I can do he has enough room to grow properly (he's so so small at the moment), which would leave this tank spare for maybe a warmer temp fish

Are there any cold water snails? Also heard they create a lot of waste so would that not be a great idea if I already have a messy fish anyway?

clk89
Some snails are messier then others. Mystery snails are pretty messy. Nerites are on the low end of snail messes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
NightShade
Replies