Which Shrimps Can Live Together?

JtheFishMan

Can someone please leave a list of types of shrimp that are compatible in the same tank with each other? I know some shrimp are aggressive to other shrimp. So, what species or types are friendly towards each other, and can live in harmony?

AquaBaby

I keep red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp together. They graze together, hang out together - have had no issues, except my amano grab food and run off with it. For this reason, I feed in this order...

(Community tank / I get all the food out and ready first to get all the food in as close to the same time as possible)

1. All my fish, except the pleco

2. Amano shrimp

3. BN Pleco

4. RCS

5. Put Mystery Snail in small floating enclosure to feed

If I put in any fresh veggies, it's just put in. Everyone just kinda takes turns eating as nobody can grab it and run off with it or eat it all at once.

goldface

I keep Cherry Shrimp with my Amanos as well.

-Mak-

For the shrimp available in the hobby, these are the guidelines:

Neocaridina cannot be with other neocaridina, so only 1 color of cherry shrimp per tank.

Caridina cannot be with other caridina unless they have different reproduction stages - for example, bee and crystal shrimp are caridina varieties carry eggs that hatch out baby shrimp like neocaridinas do. They will interbreed.
Amano shrimp are also caridina, but have a larval saltwater stage, so they can be mixed with crystals/bees. I will say caridinas have much less tendency to "revert" back to low grades than neocaridina if interbred, but they also happen to be harder to keep, with very specific substrate and parameter requirements.

BuddyD

"Neocaridina cannot be with other neocaridina"

BULL!

-Mak-

BULL!
Well I suppose of course they can, but generally mixed population tend to have poorer and poorer coloration as generations go by, and most people pay lots of money for these tiny shrimp for their colors. They're the same species so it's not a compatibility problem, just an interbreeding problem, as I'm sure you know. The problem is, mixing shrimp means their offspring will not breed true, and if someone sold me some red cherries without telling me they had blue in their ancestry, and I end up getting some muddy or blue ones, I'd be pretty mad.

WTFish?

BULL!
Definitely can be done if you want to end up with brown shrimp generations later.

Crazycoryfishlady

There's someone I wanted to buy shrimp from, they were selling green babultI shrimp, but they said they are born as half sunkist half green, so they send you a mix of both.
I was looking for green shrimp, not pumpkins I can buy at my local store, so instead I bought Blue Velvet and Neon Yellow.
I got more yellows than I purchased, which is fine to me.
And all my blue are a beautiful blue color, I am keeping these shrimp together for the beauty of the tank, this would mean, if they ever do crossbreed between colors, I'll probably get a mix of blue/green/yellow and white, maybe eventually orange or red since they are after all cherry shrimp, and there's always some colored line in them that isn't their color somewhere.
No matter how many times they breed these yellow shrimp, I'm going to guarantee that there will always be some sort of off colored offspring. Otherwise they would be sold as 'pure' fish.
And I wouldn't have white ones.

The blue won't always be that color blue, some of them are closer to a sky blue than a sapphire, one is almost a gray tone even.

Again, they're cherry shrimp, you can't really purify them when there's so many colors, and the color represented isn't always the only color.

You can breed blue shrimp all you want, not all of them are going to be perfect blue which is why it's selective breeding.
You don't breed the ones with the lesser colors, but this doesn't stop them from existing.

Even then, if you breed your 'pure colored' shrimp, eventually their color won't be so pure anymore, even if it started that way.

Eventually, if my colors ever do start to die off or become muddled, then I will be being more selective on my breedings, and won't let them just go willy nilly.
Aside from colors mixing, there is no issue housing shrimp together.
We have a big shrimp who could easily eat a baby we also have, but there's never any issues because shrimp aren't quite as mean as fish.
I've had ghost shrimp with cherries as well, no problems.

Most shrimp are more theives than aggressive.

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_134610.jpg
    IMG_20181005_134610.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20180919_093528.jpg
    IMG_20180919_093528.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 190

richiep

This is my odds and sods tank you can get some nice colours short term but long term they will turn to wild brown as for the crystal and black bee they are my backup crew in case I ever had a problem in my main tank, they will not cross with any other shrimp in that tank.

Attachments

• 20180721_170918.jpg
    20180721_170918.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 320

ZEKE KING

The only shrimp compatibility issue I've ever had was with ghost shrimp, which are honestly even jerks to each other if the tank becomes crowded enough. Even though I fed them regularly, there was one I had that just had a taste for his own kind and would try to go after the others right after they were soft from molting.

goldface

The only shrimp compatibility issue I've ever had was with ghost shrimp, which are honestly even jerks to each other if the tank becomes crowded enough. Even though I fed them regularly, there was one I had that just had a taste for his own kind and would try to go after the others right after they were soft from molting.
Might be a whisker shrimp, and not a ghost shrimp. I suggest you take a closer look.

richiep

Ghost shrimp do have a taste for young shrimp

Jellibeen

I have also kept cherry shrimp and bamboo shrimp together. They didn't seem to care about each other, although sometimes the little cherry shrimp would crawl on the bamboo shrimp. The bamboo shrimp would not react at all.

itsEmma

This is my odds and sods tank you can get some nice colours short term but long term they will turn to wild brown as for the crystal and black bee they are my backup crew in case I ever had a problem in my main tank, they will not cross with any other shrimp in that tank.
Richie, your 'odds and sods' shrimps are nicer than my main ones! ☺

EbiAqua

Neocaridina, caridina, some species of babaulti, and ghost shrimp are compatible. They have different water parameter requirements but there is some overlap (for example, cherry shrimp and orange-eye blue tigers can live together).

Ghost shrimp and especially whisker shrimp may show aggression and even eat other shrimp. Their diet is different than most dwarf shrimp in that they are primarily scavengers who prefer a meatier diet.

Palaemonetes, which include ghost shrimp, include some true freshwater species available in the hobby, many coming from North, Central, and South America. Unfortunately information about most species is difficult to find although some species are apparently popular with shrimp keepers in South America.

Bamboo and flower shrimp are compatible with most everything else, water parameters permitting. They are peaceful filter feeders that need cool, well oxygenated water with plenty of flow.

Viper/Vampire shrimp are large versions of the filter feeding bamboo shrimp, native to Africa. Though they can reach up to 6 inches, they are peaceful but require large tanks. They are rumored to eat cyanobacteria as well.

Macrobrachium are freshwater prawns native to Asia. As the name suggests, they sport elongated (sometimes extremely) front claws, with males having larger claws than females. Some smaller species available in the hobby are peaceful but there are large species that can prey on smaller fish and invertebrates. The largest macrobrachium (giant freshwater river prawn) can weigh over a pound and exceed 12 inches in length, claws excluded! They can deliver a nasty pinch to careless handlers and need very large tanks.

Jellibeen

Neocaridina, caridina, some species of babaulti, and ghost shrimp are compatible. They have different water parameter requirements but there is some overlap (for example, cherry shrimp and orange-eye blue tigers can live together).

Ghost shrimp and especially whisker shrimp may show aggression and even eat other shrimp. Their diet is different than most dwarf shrimp in that they are primarily scavengers who prefer a meatier diet.

Palaemonetes, which include ghost shrimp, include some true freshwater species available in the hobby, many coming from North, Central, and South America. Unfortunately information about most species is difficult to find although some species are apparently popular with shrimp keepers in South America.

Bamboo and flower shrimp are compatible with most everything else, water parameters permitting. They are peaceful filter feeders that need cool, well oxygenated water with plenty of flow.

Viper/Vampire shrimp are large versions of the filter feeding bamboo shrimp, native to Africa. Though they can reach up to 6 inches, they are peaceful but require large tanks. They are rumored to eat cyanobacteria as well.

Macrobrachium are freshwater prawns native to Asia. As the name suggests, they sport elongated (sometimes extremely) front claws, with males having larger claws than females. Some smaller species available in the hobby are peaceful but there are large species that can prey on smaller fish and invertebrates. The largest macrobrachium (giant freshwater river prawn) can weigh over a pound and exceed 12 inches in length, claws excluded! They can deliver a nasty pinch to careless handlers and need very large tanks.

I just looked up pictures of macrobrachium. Pretty beastly! Whisker shrimp are apparently a species of macrobrachium, which makes sense.

EbiAqua

I just looked up pictures of macrobrachium. Pretty beastly! Whisker shrimp are apparently a species of macrobrachium, which makes sense.

I could have sworn Whiskers were palaemonetes, my mistake.

Jellibeen

Macrobrachium lamarreI also known as Indian Whisker Shrimp. Not sure if there is more than one species referred to as a whisker shrimp though.

edit: I only know this from looking at Wikipedia a minute ago.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Roman96
Replies
Views
georgelee1000
Replies
Views
louiebetta
10 Gallon Tank Whisker shrimp tankmates?
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
ProudPapa

New Shrimp Threads

Top Bottom