Which shrimp should I get?

1. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

I have an Aqua One AquaNano 22 which is 22l(5 gal) with four small Balloon Mollies, please don't tell me my tank is too small as I will be upgrading to a bigger one soon. I was just wondering what type of shrimp would best fit in my tank? I am looking for one that my mollies won't eat, is roughly 3-5cm when fully grown, has lots of colour, all the same sex and won't hide so I can actually see them. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't add any shrimp until you get your bigger tank, in a 22 litre there won't be enough hiding places for the shrimp to get away from the mollies.

3. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

I'm not getting them yet but I just want to think about which ones I will be getting for when I get my bigger tank. Also I've got 2 bushy plants and a fairly big ornament that they could hide under, even when I get my bigger tank I doubt I will be getting anymore plants etc to put in there.

4. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have Ghost Shrimp which are clear (so not colorful) but larger and I also have Red Cherry Shrimp (very colorful) but smaller. My Cherries are babies so I can't see them as well but my Ghost are quite large and are cool to watch.

5. stargazerwolf Member Member

If you want color, I'd go with some nice red cherry shrimp, not too expensive, colorful, easy to care for.

6. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

If I was to put two of the types together would that be ok? I've heard that Ghost Shrimp are quite territorial, is this true?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Star.gif I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Invertebrates/Shrimps and Crabs section of the forum. You can locate your threads by clicking on Quick Links in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on My Threads.

Star.gif Too, now that you have more than 3 posts to the open forum, you can create/complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks! Have a good day!

Ken

8. Taitertot Member Member

Some people say you can mix cherries with ghosts, I breed cherries and my tank with ghosts are even breeding despite the predation in the tank (fiddlers, Pristella tetras, bigger ghosts and a female guppy). In my opinion I would not add any RCS (neocaridina), CRS (Caridina), or filter (bamboo, viper) shrimp species to your stock. CRS because though Molly, ghost and CRS have similar water parameters, the Mollies will be scaring the neocaridina species into hiding unless they have a big population, you will rarely see them. Also in my experience livebearers of all kinds have a taste for cherries, though everyone says you can breed cherries with endlers, in more than occasion I have seen them getting eaten by endlers. Cherries are also not that cheap they are $4-5 everywhere I can find them. Now CRS and Caridina species, expensive as , need soft water and same hiding and getting eaten problems as cherries. Filter shrimp just die easy, I had 2 in a 6 month established 60% planted 10g with only cherries and 3 oto's, both died in the first month.
    Now mixing, I personally don't mix my cherries with ghosts because they can be aggressive at times towards anything smaller than them if they are in a in a group. And in a tank with fish, the cherries are already a bit stressed.It might work though, maybe put one adult cherry in and watch its behavior.
    So if you want shrimp, ghosts will work great, and unless the Mollies are abnormally aggressive I doubt that they would even hide. And yes there is a good species you can mix with it, the amano shrimp. I don't have as much experience with them (because they don't breed in freshwater) so I can't say how much they will hide, but they get to be a good size, can put up with the other inhabitants, and have a wide range of water parameters. They also aren't that expensive.
    Amanos aren't the most colorful but if you wanna mix something with the ghosts I would say they are your best bet, and they still look pretty cool.
    When you upgrade your tank I would go at least to a 20 gallon with some good strong filtration, balloon Mollies look small but that's because they were bred that way, they still produce the same amount of poop. Mollies are in actuality a big messy fish.

9. EmprrOfIceCream Member Member

RCS are good shrimp to start out with while you get used to taking care of them.
    CRS are also very cool, but more expensive and more difficult to take care of.

Personally, I feel like Ghosts are more of a niche kind of shrimp.
    I am planning to get some for my white sand tank to accent it's Winter feel and they will be more "decoration" than anything.

As for personality and for your enjoyment, RCS are really neat to watch; though, CRS appear to be more intelligent and may provide more entertainment. I can't speak for Ghost Shrimp (I haven't had any in years).

You can mix RCS and CRS but make sure that your parameters are suited for the CRS as they are more delicate.

Hope it helps.

PS. Didn't see how old this post was! Hope it is still relevant.

10. Dunnill0816 Initiate Member

It is still very helpful, thank you.