Which shrimp for the tank!

1. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I must create a horticulture project for my end of year exam(we are doing projects instead of exams). I submitted my idea of making a planted shrimp tank, it was passed. So, have a 2gallon solid glass cookie jar(it was used for my moms goldfish, i had NOTHING to do with it.) The plant of choice, java fern. I have an over abundance of it as is. The bottom will be large and small pebbles and river stones, should be good for the ferns to grasp, i may also add some moss. The center piece will be a piece of drift wood.

I don't want to have to use a heater if i can avoid it. Im thinking of just going with grass shrimp(ghosts) i can get them $1 a dozen at the LFS.
    However, does anyone have anything to add or suggest?

2. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i have a 1. 75~ bowl, planted with shrimp and dwarf sag...and moss. it is a soil base, with gravel on top. no filter, no heater...and just a desk light. i've had it set up since the fall, and it is going well.

i also have a 2g fluval spec, with the fluval shrimp stratum and plants...no filter. i have tiger shrimp and they are happy.

are you planning on filtering? with so few plants it might be hard not to. if you add moss that will help a lot. you need quite a few plants to suck up the toxins.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree... Go for plants that really eat up waste quickly. Java's are a good place to start, but mosses is where its at :)

What are you doing for lighting? Do you plan to use a shelf? ;D

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Heh, when i say java fern, i means LOTS of it. I will also add them java moss in that case. Lighting...lighting....hrms. I have a desk lamp? It will be near a window if that counts :D. What about top cover plants? Any low light ones, i know they are normally big time absorbing plants. Im thinking just 6-7 ghosts. Ill use the broad leaves of the java to give them space throughout the entire water column since this is a cylinder. There is no aquasoil anywhere near me, my stores dont carry it and petsmart is too far away. I rarely go there unless its for bettas. Theres a stream i got my soil from for my nano 1gal that the java fern LOVES.

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

frogbit is a good idea, just it does overtake the tank quickly so you need to constantly remove again and again.

I dont know if a desk lamp will work all that well, unless if it is LED/Flouro?

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The javafern should be fine with just window lighting normally, ive kept it like that successfully for a few years. Ive also kept it under high lights. The moss however, would probably appreciate some more light your right. Possibly ill could just make it a snail tank? I mean, use some shrimp for a 1 day presentation and then move them to my fish tanks?

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Najas do a great job eating up nitrate etc. in my tanks. RCS should work fine. I don't think they really need a heater.

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, ill see what i can get. Unfortunetly, i just called down to the LFS, they wont be getting more RCS in for a few weeks. Soooo i suppose ill have to test it with the ghosts. Ill get pics up later of the tank. Im working on it right now.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Naja is actually one i forgot about!...

You could keep it as a shrimp tank... just with a tiny bit of better lighting

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I dont have any better lighting, nor do i have the actual will to get some, this is just kinda a project, any live shrimp can be given a home in my other tanks. My new betta is pretty lax with tank mates. Ghosts are food for the community tank.....

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added a few more smaller pieces afterwards, however i will be doing some plant shopping. I didnt have much moss to spare myself, i did get about a tablespoons worth. It shouldn't have too much an issue spreading. Ill keep my eye out for some good plants. This may end up being a plant only tank OR a photography tank, for my bettas.

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I know, but im afraid i may kill them -_-'' If they get some in then ill switch them all over :D. For now, i scored the display cabinet for the tank, which means TONS of light.

Also, if theres shrimp how much of a water change will i be doing, and if its plants then could i safely just top it off with nitrate rich tank water? Also, what should i feed?

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Shrimp are scavangers and will eat just about anything. Mine really love omega one shrimp pellets. It's got a corry on the container. They like eating their wild cousins apparently :D

If you've got enough plants then you wont need to do much for water changes. If you hava Naja I'd put some in there.

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Well i dont have naja, ill look for it for sure though. At least i should find some wisteria or hornwort, possibly watersprite. Worse comes to worse, duckweed is always a final option XD

16. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

you really only need a small desk light for this little jar. i use a 'daylight' cfl in mine, and, combined with window light, and the growth is good.

hornwort should work out well

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, Ill be shopping this weekend, ill grab which ever shrimp i can and if need be, keep them in one of the other tanks until this one is ready. Of course, now this makes me want to just keep this as my own(well technically it is) and design a different project XD. My only other idea was to make a few grafts, a blackberry/raspberry bush, a Lemon/lime tree and a red/white hibiscus. But those are boring time consuming things and i have the patients of a mouse in a cheese factory.

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Can I ask what class this is for? Just curious :) I wish my classes allowed me to set up tanks for credit.

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

lol, Horticulture 2. Its part of the agriscience here at the school. I also have animal sciences and services 2 and vet assisting1 1. Horticulture decided to do projects instead of exams. Unfortunately, its not easy to do similar type projects in animal science and vet. Though the vet3 students are doing one.

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member