Which Shrimp For Betta Tank

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Which shrimp can live in a Betta tank?

I understand that there is a risk of becoming dinner, however my biggest concern is the possibility of the shrimp eating the Betta's fins while they rest

I bought "ghost shrimp " recently, and quickly realized that they had been mislabeled when I caught them stuffing my male Betta's tail in their maws

2. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming that your betta doesn't try to eat them, Red Cherry Shrimp would be ideal for you. They are docile and only eat algae, biofilm, etc. No meat or fish in their diet, haha.

3. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Great

I'll look for those then. My son wants crystals, but at 3/$17......I'd be annoyed if they were eaten

4. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

If you have a quarantine tank you won't miss for 2 months you could breed them and introduce them while still having some left
    crystals will inbreed regardless if left to their own devices so it's good to have some back ups

5. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I have a 5g holding all of my plants

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Cherries it is- after losing my entire brand new school of harlequins (save 1) to my city tap water.....I'm disinclined to invest in sensitive livestock

8. TheCyanDragon

TheCyanDragon Valued Member Member

I really love my Amano shrimp. They're easier to see, they're bigger, and they're super fun to watch. By betta doesn't try to kill them, he just watches and chases them.

9. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I haven't seen amanos yet, but I like the look

10. TheCyanDragon

TheCyanDragon Valued Member Member

Here are some of my Amanos. They are so cool!
    1c05ebb9e336a511da4057901c10eb4e.jpg
    152b64338ac4f19c4efac126a10f6326.jpg f91bfa1f188400bb1fa513198f7ea2a9.jpg

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Amanos have the advantage in size over cherry shrimp. Bettas may still harass amanos, but they can't eat them as easily!

12. ChibiMonkey

ChibiMonkey Valued Member Member

I have kept both ghost and Amano shrimp with my male betta for a few months now. He has been completely fine with them. I had six of each and always got the largest the store had (I think my smallest was still over an inch). Then a week ago, I noticed I couldn't find as many of my shrimps. My betta spent the whole week (because I'm usually very good at maintaining them, but I didn't count them one week because I was very sick. I fed them daily of course, but I must have done something after one of the water changes that triggered my fish) nomming on my shrimp, and I only have three ghosts left. There weren't even any shells. They were just not there one day.

I'm going to wait to get shrimp again until I can put them in a species tank.

13. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Yes, I am a little concerned about dinner...but i have plenty of filters, and can easily set up a species tank if I need to. I also considered a Critter Keeper inside the tank- so that my son can have his shrimp, and the betta can't eat them. I could keep that in the male tank, since I have a spare airline to run a microfilter into it. I could do that for smaller breeds, and let the bigger ones go free

14. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Whatever you go with, make sure there's no possible way for them to escape. I bought 3 amanos for my betta tank and they were amazing for a few days, now they're all missing, and the betta's not even in the tank currently so they couldn't have been eaten.

15. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Thanks for that heads' up.