Which shrimp can co-exist with guppies and corys? Question 

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking of getting some cherry shrimps to help with a bit of algae in my 42 gallon planted tank and also to help with uneaten food that my corys can't finish. My tank also has three guppies. Would cherry shrimps co-exist peacefully with guppies and corys?

Also, should I consider special foods or chemicals that the shrimps would require? I read about iodine or calcium somewhere I think.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I'm really not an expert, but I'll try to answer the questions...

I THINK (not sure) that shrimps would be fine in this situation. The cories as far as I know won't bother them.

I'm not quite sure about food either, but I think that a cucumber would be a nice treat for them.

Again, not an expert, but I don't think they require any special chemicals as such... just avoid anything to do with copper (some meds have it) as the are very sensative to that.

sorry about not knowing much about it though...

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some of the baby shrimps might end up on the inside of a guppy stomach, but some will probably survive. I've never had cory cats so couldn't say for sure, but I would imagine it would be the same story as guppies with the odd baby going missing . Adult shrimp should be fine.

I would probably try to add some moss or other densely planted area if you don't have some already for the shrimp to hide and the babies to grow. Mine love the java moss.

I just feed mine blanched zucchini, cucumber, and algae wafers. I wouldn't mess with chemical additives as the shrimp seem to do fine in most aquariums without them.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, cherries will be perfect! I don't feed mine anything except the odd algae wafer for a treat as they forage for most of their food everywhere you can think of!
My cories do not bother them, and I have them with danios, a platy & tetras. No problems at all (if the crazy danios don't bother them, I'm sure the guppies won't!)

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea they won't get hurt

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If there's a lot of leftover food that your cories aren't getting, you probably want to cut down on how much you are feeding.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads