Which Sand to use?

Leeman75

Well Known
I'm working to determine which brand of Sand to use for my aquarium. I love Black sand and would like to put that into my 20 gallon Hex project. The two brand that I'm trying to make a decision between are Seachem Flourite Black Sand or Imagitarium Black Sand. I use Seachem products in a lot of other places and they don't let me down, but from a simple economics standpoint, I can get 20 pounds of the Imagitarium for about half the cost of 15 pounds of the Flourite Black Sand. I'm not sure that 15 pounds will be enough for my tank, though I'm pretty sure that 20 would. So the cost may be even more if I go with the Flourite.

Is it really worth it?

Best Answer - View MrBryan723's answer

Tol

Well Known
yup, I would recommend the medium grit not the fine grit. Wash it really well. It does have some lighter colors in it, if you are aiming for absolute jet black sand, go with the Imaginitarium stuff instead. Here is what it looks like:
tank.png

OP
Leeman75

Leeman75

Well Known
Tol said:
yup, I would recommend the medium grit not the fine grit. Wash it really well. It does have some lighter colors in it, if you are aiming for absolute jet black sand, go with the Imaginitarium stuff instead. Here is what it looks like:
I really appreciate you all taking the time to post and share pictures. It truly helped me to make up my mind. Though $8.99 for the sand is a great deal and I do believe that I will end up getting some for other tank projects coming up, I did end up deciding on the Imaginitarium as I do like the jet black with the smaller granules. I would not have arrived at that decision without the pictures and info that you shared, so even though I didn't go with your recommendation, you helped me arrive at the decision, so THANK YOU!!

New Threads