Which Sand To Use Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Cher1, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Which is the best sand to use for fresh water fish?

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Any sand, really. However, I advise not to use sand collected from outside.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

For fish that like lower ph and softer water, avoid sands that contain calcium carbonate (like coral sand or coral fragments).

4. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Thank you. I'm using pavior sand. Is this ok in a tank with a tetra easy crystal filter box 600. With a easy filter biological grid and filter cartridge. The reason why I ask I because in losing my fish. I've recently just had to change the tank as the other cracked. I couldn't get another tank until the next day. I had to think quick. I transferred the water, fish sand into a very large tub. I adapted the tub so that the filter and heater could be used. Got the new tank transferred water, sand and fish once set up. I didn't leave the tank for two weeks like advised. I'm losing my fish slowly. Is this stress related? Have I made them sick? Water readings are good. My fish that have died looked as tho they had white spot. So water treated. I currently have a neon tetra tying to swim but floats to the top. I've lost 3 Harlequin tetra they looked as tho they were bleeding in side. Any idea what's happening?

My fish look like they a going furry/fuzzy. If that helps.

6. treadingwater

treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your tank.
    1. Water parameters will always help, if you could provide those. That will give others insight into possible issues with your tank.
    2. Pictures will also help. Sometimes what we say isn't always helpful in describing what we see, especially in stressful times. Your fuzzy to you could look slime covered to me. It's very helpful for us to see what you see.
    3. Google "Cotton Wool Disease" images and see if that looks like what you/'re seeing on your fish.

7. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I think your sand is the culprit. You changed the fish to a temporary holding cell and transfer the media and they seemed fine.

When you scaped your new tank you added the paver sand which I’m assuming you’ve never used.

Sand should be 100% silica or quartz and some paver sand may have chemicals that could have leached into the system thus killing your fish. Paver sand reacts to water and hardens over time. It’s used to secure bricks and stones for landscaping. To harden a little chemicals are added.

At this point I think your best to pull the sand out and start over.

8. OP
    OP
    Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Hi, thanks for your advise. The sand was the sand from the old tank ****! You could be right. Will get some aquarium sand. Any
    Advise on what type of sand, name,brand. Thanks

9. OP
    OP
    Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Attached Files:

10. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

You can’t go wrong with pool filter sand. Cheap and usually the go to sand for most hobbyists.

11. OP
    OP
    Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Thanks everyone for your advise. Will defo be changing the sand. Time will tell. On the plus side, my cory catfish are loving it, as they are laying eggs everywhere.

12. OP
    OP
    Cher1

Cher1New MemberMember

Substrate changed to swimming pool sand. So far so good, no fatalities, fish and tank look happier. Only wish I had know that it was my substrate causing the problems. Perhaps I wouldn't of lost my fish. Thanks guys for help and advise. Time will tell.