10 Gallon Tank Which Powerhead?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm almost ready to order equipment for my new 10g SW tank (live rock and inverts only for now but will have fish and corals in a couple months) but I'm at a loss for which powerhead to get. It's between the Maxi-Jet 400-900 or the Hydor Koralia Nano 240. The Maxi-Jets are cheaper and I've read great things about them but they just look so big (although I might be incorrect about...). The Koralia Nano has a lot of flow (too much?) but from what I read, it's dispersed so it wouldn't be TOO powerful. There's limited space in these small tanks so I hope you guys can understand my dilemma. I just want to make sure I get the right equipment from the start. Thanks all ;D

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks ATP. To play it safe, I ordered both the Koralia Nano and the Maxi-Jet 400. I figured I could use the MJ for mixing the saltwater if I decide to mix it myself. It'll also be good to have a spare in case if one breaks.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use 2 Koralia nano in my 10 gal, works good
I was thinking that but I thought that might be overkill. I've read threads in other forums of people using a single Maxi-Jet 400 and others using 2 Koralia Nanos and in both cases everything was good. That's why I was so confused about this. From what I read, I should be aiming for 10-20x turnover rate and each Koralia Nano is 24x. Plus I already have a Penguin Biowheel 200 which is 200gph. If I feel the tank needs it, I could always put the MJ400 that I purchased as a spare into the tank.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
turn over rate and moving water are two dif things in this case..the pumps we are talking about will only move the water in the tank at that speed. turn over rate is how much water goes thru a filter..hope that helps you

webtrawler84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there

I too have not long setup a 62L nano tank. I started out with two normal power-heads, both flowing around 400Ltr/h. I was not happy with how directional they were and more so how focused the flow was. I was looking at a number of the leading ones and a number of people recommended that I try the NeWave 1000's. These flow around 14000Ltr/h at full tilt and a slightly smaller than some of the others., the only down side being they use suckers rather than magnets.

I must say I have been very pleased with them, they are also slightly cheaper than some of the others and flow slightly more. I have in fact remove one now due to them being too powerfull, I am now using one NeWave 1000 and one aquaclear 20 for surface movement.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom