Which pleco?

1. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I am setting up my new cichlid tank as some of you may know and I am going to keep a BN pleco to help take care of the algae but as it is a large tank, 300l (75g), I think i have room for a few more. I would like a bottom dweller that will not be a picky eater and is really pretty. I like the look of phantom's and golden nuggets but im not sure if they would be able to survive in the high ph. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

@Hampalong might be able to suggest some . Alison:;hi1

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the pH I suppose, although I've never kept any plecs at high pH personally. You can search for plecs suitable for your pH here...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelo...ery aggressive towards other bottom dwellers.

4. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the link, I think ill go for something along the lines of a petricola

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Synodontis petricola? They should really be kept in a small group. And they don't eat algae.

6. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I wasn't after an algae eater, I'm already getting a BN pleco to eat algae, I'm open to getting a few petricolas, how many are needed in a group?

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I would say 5 or more ideally. Be very careful if you do get some, as there are a few species that look very similar and are often confused. S. lucipinnis grows slightly smaller than S. petricola, but S. multipunctatus grows quite a bit bigger. PlanetCatfish gives good details for IDing them in the info for each species...

8. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Do all of the species (lucipinnis/cf.poli/etc) need to be kept in groups or are some ok by themselves?

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure tbh. I've had a quick search and can't find much except that polli are very territorial.

Btw, scotcat has great info about IDing them...

http://www.scotcat.com/genus.htm

10. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Another great link thanks, it doesn't specify so I'll probably try to keep them in some small groups to start with, thanks for your help.
    EDIT:
    just found a website saying "Most people keep petricolas as singles because of their high price. Petricolas prefer to hang in groups. The more the merrier, but their high price keeps their numbers low for most people.
    I'll probably stick with two-four to start with.
    Thanks again.

11. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

True for a lot of fish. A sad indictment of how little people actually care about them.

12. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I know, when you keep fish you need to commit and do what it takes to make sure they are happy, if you can't afford to maintain fish dont keep them.