Which Platy Should I Get?

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
Now, I have 2 platies currently, they were titled "red tailed calicos" when I purchased them but when I tried to look that up it seems its not well known enough that I could just get you guys to look it up as a frame of reference so I have taken a photo of mine (sorry for poor quality). I am going to be getting 2 more platies, but I'd like to choose 2 of the same colour that will compliment the ones I already have without being overbearing. The other colours I know for sure that they had at my LFS were:
Blue Coral Platies
Sunset Wag Platies
Red Wag Platies
Sunset Mickey Mouse Platies
Calico Platies

So I am wondering which colour of those available do you think would look best next to the current ones I have? (I should also mention I have a flame dwarf gouramI so something that would compliment his colours as well would be nice)
 

Attachments

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not a huge fan of platies but I just saw twin goldbars and thought they were so pretty. I’d recommend them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
Lynn78too said:
I’m not a huge fan of platies but I just saw twin goldbars and thought they were so pretty. I’d recommend them.
Twin Goldbars? I can't seem to find much of a reference of them, but either way I don't recall my LFS ever having them, which is a dang shame if they were able to turn your head and you don't even much care for platies haha
 

WadeEH

Active Member
Member
Messages
407
Reaction score
157
Location
Indiana
Experience
More than 10 years
The two that you have look like they might be red tailed Dalmatian Platies. I think the Sunset Wag or Blue Coral would look nice with them.
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe it was under the wrong name? It was bright yellow. I’m going to the store again and if they gave them still I’ll take a picture.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
WadeEH said:
The two that you have look like they might be red tailed Dalmatian Platies. I think the Sunset Wag or Blue Coral would look nice with them.
Thank you for the suggestion, I think I'm leaning on getting the blue coral but the sunset wag looks lovely as well, hah. This is my problem, I end up getting to the store and I get so indecisive, I'd love to just take them all home haha
Lynn78too said:
Maybe it was under the wrong name? It was bright yellow. I’m going to the store again and if they gave them still I’ll take a picture.
That would be lovely
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe it was under the wrong name? It was bright yellow. I’m going to the store again and if they have them still I’ll take a picture

Edit: Sorry I didn’t realize the first posted. Could someone delete this?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,025
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
The calico platies would fit in nicely with yours.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
The calico platies would fit in nicely with yours.
Thanks for the suggestion, they're all so lovely, this is going to be difficult haha
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the golf twin bar I was talking about. The last one is a rosy platy.

CF0048A9-2A19-4AE4-8ACE-5C546612321B.jpeg
960B19A7-F0C9-4A2C-8486-0CF7E6FBB782.jpeg
921C4B34-2C8C-48CC-8631-76206B7AD9C6.jpeg
 

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known
Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Experience
Just started
tum0r said:
Now, I have 2 platies currently, they were titled "red tailed calicos" when I purchased them but when I tried to look that up it seems its not well known enough that I could just get you guys to look it up as a frame of reference so I have taken a photo of mine (sorry for poor quality). I am going to be getting 2 more platies, but I'd like to choose 2 of the same colour that will compliment the ones I already have without being overbearing. The other colours I know for sure that they had at my LFS were:
Blue Coral Platies
Sunset Wag Platies
Red Wag Platies
Sunset Mickey Mouse Platies
Calico Platies

So I am wondering which colour of those available do you think would look best next to the current ones I have? (I should also mention I have a flame dwarf gouramI so something that would compliment his colours as well would be nice)
Omg those platies are gorgeous!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
Lynn78too said:
This is the golf twin bar I was talking about. The last one is a rosy platy.

CF0048A9-2A19-4AE4-8ACE-5C546612321B.jpeg
960B19A7-F0C9-4A2C-8486-0CF7E6FBB782.jpeg
921C4B34-2C8C-48CC-8631-76206B7AD9C6.jpeg
They look gorgeous! Perhaps my LFS has them in their assorted tank, I'll have to see when I go down.
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Omg those platies are gorgeous!
Aren't they? I love platies, people tend to regard them as really basic but honestly if you've ever had them you kind of fall in love with them, and these red tailed dalmatians/calicos are so lovely looking ahhh
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
My son gave them a nickname, it’s what you would expect a 5 year would say about a platy. I have a hard time even considering bringing them back into my tank.
 

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,500
Reaction score
2,101
Location
Houston, TX
Experience
1 year
I would go to your LFS and look at the currently available platies. Then, you can see which ones you might like.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I would go to your LFS and look at the currently available platies. Then, you can see which ones you might like.
The ones I listed in my original post were the ones I knew for certain that my LFS had, since they have had them there for my last 4 visits over the course of the past 6 months That is why I listed them, you see I have a difficult time envisioning them in an aquarium with my current platies and I am seeking the forums advice on which of the available colourations you all think would look nice with the current ones I have, sorry if that wasn't very clear in my op I am not the best at summarizing haha
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
tum0r said:
The ones I listed in my original post were the ones I knew for certain that my LFS had, since they have had them there for my last 4 visits over the course of the past 6 months That is why I listed them, you see I have a difficult time envisioning them in an aquarium with my current platies and I am seeking the forums advice on which of the available colourations you all think would look nice with the current ones I have, sorry if that wasn't very clear in my op I am not the best at summarizing haha
I've always liked the colors on the sunset and blue wag. For me, I'd want the flame dwarf to be the centerpieces and to then get a blue fish, it would take away from the gourami. I would get the sunset if I were you. The red wags to me are kind of the plain janes of the group yet they are similar enough in color to the gouramI that they would all just look the same. I'm not a fan of Mickey Mouses (Mickey Mice?), but that's just me. Calicos are a hit or miss, just like koi, you can get a gorgeous coloration or one that you describe as having a great personality.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Member
Messages
660
Reaction score
264
Location
Canada
Experience
5 years
Lynn78too said:
I've always liked the colors on the sunset and blue wag. For me, I'd want the flame dwarf to be the centerpieces and to then get a blue fish, it would take away from the gourami. I would get the sunset if I were you. The red wags to me are kind of the plain janes of the group yet they are similar enough in color to the gouramI that they would all just look the same. I'm not a fan of Mickey Mouses (Mickey Mice?), but that's just me. Calicos are a hit or miss, just like koi, you can get a gorgeous coloration or one that you describe as having a great personality.
Lovely summary, very true, I appreciate your suggestions
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
248
Guests online
3,675
Total visitors
3,923

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom