Which Platy Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by tum0r, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tum0r

tum0r Valued Member Member

Now, I have 2 platies currently, they were titled "red tailed calicos" when I purchased them but when I tried to look that up it seems its not well known enough that I could just get you guys to look it up as a frame of reference so I have taken a photo of mine (sorry for poor quality). I am going to be getting 2 more platies, but I'd like to choose 2 of the same colour that will compliment the ones I already have without being overbearing. The other colours I know for sure that they had at my LFS were:
    Blue Coral Platies
    Sunset Wag Platies
    Red Wag Platies
    Sunset Mickey Mouse Platies
    Calico Platies

So I am wondering which colour of those available do you think would look best next to the current ones I have? (I should also mention I have a flame dwarf gourami so something that would compliment his colours as well would be nice)

Attached Files:

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I’m not a huge fan of platies but I just saw twin goldbars and thought they were so pretty. I’d recommend them.

3. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Twin Goldbars? I can't seem to find much of a reference image of them, but either way I don't recall my LFS ever having them, which is a dang shame if they were able to turn your head and you don't even much care for platies haha

4. WadeEH

WadeEH Valued Member Member

The two that you have look like they might be red tailed Dalmatian Platies. I think the Sunset Wag or Blue Coral would look nice with them.

5. Lynn78too

Maybe it was under the wrong name? It was bright yellow. I’m going to the store again and if they gave them still I’ll take a picture.

6. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Thank you for the suggestion, I think I'm leaning on getting the blue coral but the sunset wag looks lovely as well, hah. This is my problem, I end up getting to the store and I get so indecisive, I'd love to just take them all home haha
    That would be lovely :)

7. Lynn78too

Maybe it was under the wrong name? It was bright yellow. I’m going to the store again and if they have them still I’ll take a picture

Edit: Sorry I didn’t realize the first posted. Could someone delete this?

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The calico platies would fit in nicely with yours.

9. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Thanks for the suggestion, they're all so lovely, this is going to be difficult haha :)

10. Lynn78too

This is the golf twin bar I was talking about. The last one is a rosy platy.

CF0048A9-2A19-4AE4-8ACE-5C546612321B.jpeg 960B19A7-F0C9-4A2C-8486-0CF7E6FBB782.jpeg 921C4B34-2C8C-48CC-8631-76206B7AD9C6.jpeg

11. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Omg those platies are gorgeous!

12. OP
    OP
    tum0r

They look gorgeous! Perhaps my LFS has them in their assorted tank, I'll have to see when I go down. :)
    Aren't they? :) I love platies, people tend to regard them as really basic but honestly if you've ever had them you kind of fall in love with them, and these red tailed dalmatians/calicos are so lovely looking ahhh :)

13. Lynn78too

My son gave them a nickname, it’s what you would expect a 5 year would say about a platy. I have a hard time even considering bringing them back into my tank.

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would go to your LFS and look at the currently available platies. Then, you can see which ones you might like.

15. OP
    OP
    tum0r

The ones I listed in my original post were the ones I knew for certain that my LFS had, since they have had them there for my last 4 visits over the course of the past 6 months :) That is why I listed them, you see I have a difficult time envisioning them in an aquarium with my current platies and I am seeking the forums advice on which of the available colourations you all think would look nice with the current ones I have, sorry if that wasn't very clear in my op I am not the best at summarizing haha

16. Lynn78too

I've always liked the colors on the sunset and blue wag. For me, I'd want the flame dwarf to be the centerpieces and to then get a blue fish, it would take away from the gourami. I would get the sunset if I were you. The red wags to me are kind of the plain janes of the group yet they are similar enough in color to the gourami that they would all just look the same. I'm not a fan of Mickey Mouses (Mickey Mice?), but that's just me. Calicos are a hit or miss, just like koi, you can get a gorgeous coloration or one that you describe as having a great personality.

17. OP
    OP
    tum0r

Lovely summary, very true, I appreciate your suggestions :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice