Which Plants Will Grow Emersed?

TankGeek

Hey all,

In preparation for a big cross country move I'm planning to tear down two of my planted tanks and turn them into an emersed set-ups to make them easier to transport. I'm hoping this will also help to eradicate some staghorn and black beard algae in the process and encourage quicker growth in some slower plants like crypts. I'm wondering though which plants will grow this way. I have the following plants:

Hairgrass
Pygmy chain swords
Amazon swords
Crypts
Anubias
Monte Carlo
Green pennywort
Java fern
Ludwigia red
Baby tears
Rotala rotundifolia

I need some help to determine which of these will thrive in emersed set-up and which would be best kept submerged. My thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer. Cheers. ☺

kallililly1973

Although I don't have all of those plants.I can say all of those will do well in a bucket of submerged tank water. Cause once you do your cross country trip you will be dealing with different parameters. and they will have to reacclimate . Safe travels!! Pics when your resettled!

Rye3434

Those should all grow emersed.

Bryangar

Although I don't have all of those plants.I can say all of those will do well in a bucket of submerged tank water. Cause once you do your cross country trip you will be dealing with different parameters. and they will have to reacclimate . Safe travels!! Pics when your resettled!
that’s not the question

kallililly1973

that’s not the question
Then it sounds like you already have the answers. Have a great trip!!

Momgoose56

Hey all,

In preparation for a big cross country move I'm planning to tear down two of my planted tanks and turn them into an emersed set-ups to make them easier to transport. I'm hoping this will also help to eradicate some staghorn and black beard algae in the process and encourage quicker growth in some slower plants like crypts. I'm wondering though which plants will grow this way. I have the following plants:

Hairgrass
Pygmy chain swords
Amazon swords
Crypts
Anubias
Monte Carlo
Green pennywort
Java fern
Ludwigia red
Baby tears
Rotala rotundifolia

I need some help to determine which of these will thrive in emersed set-up and which would be best kept submerged. My thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer. Cheers. ☺
Anything that floats on the top is already living emersed so those would be fine. Why travel with them emersed. You're going to have them in some water anyway, why not just shove them under and put a lid on it? Then they are more under than above water and sealing the container will keep them wetter and prevent evaporation or drying of the leaves. Just don't let them get to hot, sit in direct sunlight or get too cold.

TankGeek

That's true.. I also wanted to try emersed to rid the plants of unwanted algae... And let's face it, it's just an excuse to have a go at emersed.

TankGeek

So I didn't end going emersed after all, but I will one day! Just planted them all into plastic tubs and put them back in the tank. Come moving day I'll just take them out, put on the lid and hit the road.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views
midna
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies