Question Which Plant For Shrimp Tank?

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just started a shrimp tank. What plant should I get for 30 Gal tank?
And what is the best tankmates? Should I do fish and shrimp or shrimp tank only?
Thank you for replies and sorry for bad English

#Edit
How long Carpet seed last ?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water sprite,westeria,hornwort and anacharis all work well. Java moss and suswassertang are great bottom plants. These all give the shrimp places to hide and climb. Any other plant will also grow. As to fish. Most will eat shrimplets. In my 15 I have 10 pigmy Cory’s and 2 baby bosemani rainbows. In my 30 I have 4 older bosemani an SAE and 3 regular size corys. The Rainbows and SAE will be leaving when they get bigger. But all of them are eating shrimplets.

OniEG

Reaction score
Best results I would recommend an all moss tank. Maybe get a bonsai tree and cover it in moss or a moss wall. Have a picture of it in the photo contest if you want to check it out.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OniEG said:
Best results I would recommend an all moss tank. Maybe get a bonsai tree and cover it in moss or a moss wall. Have a picture of it in the photo contest if you want to check it out.
What moss do you recommend?
Thank you :)

OniEG

Reaction score
Christmas moss or Taiwanese moss for a wall and flame moss on the substrate.

OniEG

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Why? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just curious.
I've had best results with just using moss in a shrimp tank. One of my 10 gallon tanks has Taiwanese moss that's formed into a circle that's half the tank size.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OniEG said:
Christmas moss or Taiwanese moss for a wall and flame moss on the substrate.
Does the moss spreading across the aquarium by itself or you need to trim it & spread it manually ?

RDcompton03

Reaction score
What plants and tank mates depends on your goal. If you want a shrimp tank with maximum growth of your shrimp colony you would want one set-up. If your goal is an aquarium with a diversity of life and a shrimp colony that sustains itself and maybe grows slowly you could have a different set up.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RDcompton03 said:
What plants and tank mates depends on your goal. If you want a shrimp tank with maximum growth of your shrimp colony you would want one set-up. If your goal is an aquarium with a diversity of life and a shrimp colony that sustains itself and maybe grows slowly you could have a different set up.
How many shrimp can I keep on 10gal Aquarium?

And how often do shrimp breed?
If I keep a colony of shrimp with neon tetra will the shrimplet survive in 50gal aquarium?
What kind of fish should I avoid?

Thank you for replies btw ^_^

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a discus tank where I was adding my culled shrimp for months. It now has a well established colony. So with enough plants and hiding places they will survive :).

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OniEG said:
I've had best results with just using moss in a shrimp tank. One of my 10 gallon tanks has Taiwanese moss that's formed into a circle that's half the tank size.
Okay, but I still don't understand why you said moss only. Why not use other plants also?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom