Which one?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by angeliccreature, Aug 14, 2015.

1. angeliccreatureValued MemberMember

Which is a better choice. Neons or rasboras. As far level of care and making the tank vibrant.

2. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Neons tend to stay in the bottom half of the tank. Most Rasboras tend to stay in the top half. There are some very nice Rasboras, but Neons are more vivid than most of them....

Level of care is about the same for all.

3. angeliccreatureValued MemberMember

If I get 7 of which ever I choose what else can I add

4. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Depends on tank size, water....

5. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Some breeds are top swimmers, others are middle swimmers, and others are bottom swimmers. It is good to get some of each, so your tank looks full.

6. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I actually prefer tanks that don't look full, plus they're easier to manage with less stocking.

:)

Edit- sorry New Fish I do get what you mean, and you weren't necessarily meaning fully stocked tanks :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  7. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

I just got a 20 gallon long and my plan is to have a school of tetras (probably cardinals, they are like neons, only hardier I think), also a school of corydora catfish along the bottom, a snail, and a couple of gupppies. :)

8. jay275475Valued MemberMember

If you go the neons route, 40 neons can fit in a 20 long if they are by themselves.

9. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Neons grow to 2 inches long and are hypersensitive to water quality. I'd say 40 in a 20 long is way overdoing it, even as a species only tank. 15 is the most I'd do, given their sensitive nature and full adult size.

10. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Check aqadvisor, or even search google people say you can fit as much as 30-40 because of there tiny bioload.

11. AquadisiacNew MemberMember

Aqadvisor is just a guide. 40 juvenile neons may be okay in a 20 long but once they reach maturity (up to 2") they will be severely cramped. 40 two inch fish would not work in a 20 long.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. OvenmittsValued MemberMember

I have both Harlequins and Neons and I prefer the Rasboras. They are a lot more active and I really like the look of them. But most people looking at the tank comment on how pretty the Neons are. :(

13. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I've never seen a Neon bigger than 1.5"

14. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, it looks nice when you have all three levels of the tank full. I have hatchet fish that swim near the top, long finned black skirt tetras that swim in the middle, and cory catfish that swim on the bottom. Plus a mystery snail.

15. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Why don't you do a school of 6-7 neons and 6-7 harlequins. They both use different levels and look good together. Just a thought. Alison

16. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Yes... on the internet, you can find anything you want to find to justify whatever it is that you want. That doesn't mean it's correct. I can find hundreds of accounts of people keeping goldfish in 1 gallon bowls permanently, or Oscars in 20 gallon tanks for their entire, very short lives, in that size tank. That doesn't mean either of those things are advisable. In fact they both amount to some pretty severe animal cruelty.

17. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

angeliccreature, what size tank? And what tankmates do you want?
    I agree with junebug on the 40 neons thing..... way overstocked.

18. jay275475Valued MemberMember

It's honestly preference. There bio load is tiny and they don't get big, don't say they grow 2 inches. At my local fish stores they are tiny and I would stock a 20 gallon long with at least 20 of them especially in a planted tank or I'll end up thinking their gone :p

19. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Those are juvenile fish, not fully grown. This is why it's so important to research these things.

20. jay275475Valued MemberMember

They were in a display tank... Well... I know you wouldn't stock 40 neons on a 20 gallon long but I'm saying it can be done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice