Which one to clean with? Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

What chemical, solution is best for the following?

Cleaning glass lids:
    Cleaning anything porous:
    Cleaning filter, intake tube, motor:

2. tonycarder Member Member

Im against using chemical solutions to clean parts of my tank. Typically warm water and a good scrubbing will take care of it. If you wish to use something, you could go with a white vinegar and warm water mixed. Just make sure to wash extensively to get any vinegar that may remain on the items you cleaned

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Anything that you do use, make sure it doesn't come in contact with your fish or plants. Avoid any kind of soap or detergent, they leave residue behind that can never be completely removed with any confidence.

Glass lid: Water and elbow grease. If you have hard water deposits on it, use a razor blade to scrape it off.

For cleaning just about anything, the only thing I've always used was bleach, and then thorough rinsing with dechlorinator (use liberally). This completely neutralizes the bleach and leaves nothing harmful behind.

I have recently started experimenting with potassium permanganate. It is more gentle to plants when removing snails/algae. I don't see any reason to favor it over bleach for anything else. But if you do use it, rinse with dechlorinator the same way as bleach.

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

When I had really bad brown algae build up in my finters intake tub I soaked it in a cup of hot water and bleach. I rinsed it very good and luckily it didn't mess with my cycle.

Using a razor blade on glass, whats the odds of it scratching the glass?

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

As long as it is glass and not acrylic, next to zero, The metal is softer than glass.

6. mopa Member Member

Just warm water and elbow grease works for me as well. I have hard water so constantly removing the white build up on my glass lid. Also after cleaning my plants and ornaments in sink I dip them into the prime treated new water waiting in buckets to be added to tank to kill anything picked up from sink water.