which one of these two fish would be ok Question

1. cragterharris Initiate Member

right first of all its a 260l tank
    we already have a silver shark (3")
    9 tiger barbs
    2 plecos (9")
    2 clown loaches (still small)
    1 Fire eel (6")

would any of these fish have a problem with having two new tank mates such as
    blue dwarfs
    or
    buenos aires tetras?

must say tho that our tiger barbs are quite timid and dont nip anymore

cheers

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hi craterharris!
    are you planning a bigger tank? curious as your loaches get HUGE and actually should have more with them...what kind of "silver shark" do you have? and what kind of plecs? the tiger barbs probably arent nipping, because theres really nothing in there for them to nip ;) I think adding tetras would get the barbs nipping and maybe a meal for your eel...:( IMO you are maxed out and if everyones getting along, I wouldnt disturb it...but its your tank and im sure others will have more suggestions :)

EDIT: you have gotten some great advice on your other thread as well https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...new-forum-can-someone-help-me-figure-out.html

3. cragterharris Initiate Member

its a bala shark and its only little
    we are going to wait a while before considering getting another tank
    all the fish are still quite small at the moment
    and we have the common plecs

the tetra's we saw in the shop were quite big (alot bigger than the tetra's we've had before) so we thought they would be big enough to be in with the tigers
    and are too big to fit in the eel's mouth so we did think of that one
    and we did a little research on th blue dwarf's before and found out they are a community fish and might be a nice addition seen as were having to remove the rosy barbs

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

its your tank to do as you wish :) but both threads have offered advice to not do the things you want...good luck either way!

5. cragterharris Initiate Member

well we didnt get any of the above fish
    we got 3 silver sharks so it could school together with the other one we have
    also because we know that they are already fine with the rest of the other fish and i remember someone saying that they needed to be more that just the one
    i hope this wil be okay
    the tank might be overcrowded in the future
    but for now, there small enough to not be a problem
    when things do start becoming an issue with the size, then we will hopefully be getting a larger tank

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Just remember that balas can break tanks if the tank isnt big enough, they swim fast cant stop quick enough and suddenly the fish are on the floor.

Another thing for you to consider is I had an RTS in a 20g tank from when it was a baby and a featherfin syno. within a month of putting them into the 120g tank my rts grew about 1-2 inches and the syno grew to about 4 inches. The syno was less than an inch long when I got him.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

so in your 260L tank you have 4 balas, 2 common plecos, 9 tiger barbs, 2 clown loaches and a fire eel is that correct? yes we did recommend the bala's having buddies but NOT in your size tank...:( they will not be able to grow their potential and as diggly said, you could wake up one day with a smashed tank..bala's are very skittish fish and can ram a tank like you wouldnt believe...although if they are still tiny, you have some time but dont think their small size makes them ok in that tank...if a tiger barb chases them, or someone walks up to the tank and scares them, it is going to be an issue

or the fire eel (which can get in excess of 2 feet long! )decides he has had enough of others and starts to munch on the barbs, (they are predators), there wont be time for a bigger tank :(

I do wish you well but I hope you reconsider your stocking plans and do whats best for the fish .....good luck!