Which one is carbon?

1. orbelina

orbelina Valued Member Member

Evening all after recent events (the loss of quite a few fish) I'm pretty sure we have a problem with internal parasites...got the meds to treat them today (sterazin) but need to remove the carbon from my filters.
    At the moment I have the juwel 180 with built in filter it has two blue sponges, a black sponge and a couple of others...will the black sponge be the carbon one?
    I also have my fluval u2 from my 60l running to help with the cycling (its been in about three weeks)...this has a basket for biomax, and two carbon/sponge sections which obviously I will also have to remove...will it still be okay to run this filter with both of these missing? And will removing these affect my cycle? As obviously the bacteria will die off, these need replacing anyway but I wasn't going to do them both at the same time...
    What's the best way to do this I really need to start treatment before I lose any more fish :(

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    orbelina

I was concerned with the fluval filter as the sponge and carbon are attached I can't remove one part without the other so there will only be the biomax left in the fluval :confused:

Or do you think I might be safe to remove the fluval now.. its been in three or four weeks I tested the water yesterday ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates between 5 and 10?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The beneficial bacteria can and will colonize the carbon. However, if you are good about changing it regularly, then there isn't enough time for there to be any real shift in the population of the colony. If you don't change the carbon, then bacteria will grow on it at the expense of all the media after the carbon, which is often the biomedia. I tell people to put the carbon last, to mitigate any bacteria migrations - the media closest to the outflow of the filter houses the least amount of bacteria, if any at all.

5. OP
    OP
    orbelina

The carbon is above the bio media in my filter...its two 'basket' type things with two blue sponges and the biomedia at the bottom, then the upper sponges then carbon then floss , I have to admit I haven't changed anything except the floss layer so far :eek:

6. LyndaB

To respond to this question, people with these all-in-one cartridges sometimes slice them open, remove the carbon, which becomes inert after about 30 days, and just keep the filter material.

7. Jaysee

Yeah, people will tell you how the carbon can leach stuff back into the tank, or that it will spontaneously release all it has adsorbed if you don't change it. I spoke to a chemist, who said carbon needs to be heated to 700 C in an oxygen free environment to recharge (dump what it had adsorbed) - so that's a myth. Because carbon works via the van der waals force, it is possible for a particle to knock out a previously adsorbed particle, but it's a one for one deal. So yes, it can leach things back into the tank, but unless there were meds in the water, it's going to leach back things that us carbon free fish keepers leave in the tank.....so what's the big deal?

If you are going to use carbon, you ought to change it regularly. Otherwise, ditch it and add more biomedia.

8. LyndaB

Gotta love that old van der waals force...... :p

9. OP
    OP
    orbelina

So do you think I could remove the fluval altogether and get another box of biomedia to replace the carbon in the juwel filter?

10. LyndaB

Yep...... I think you can.

11. Jaysee

There is no actual chemical reaction with the van der waals - it works on charges, collecting things that have an affinity for the carbon. The greater the affinity, the more solidly locked in place it is. So, anything that gets knocked out of the carbon will be of a lower affinity than what did the knocking out, so the things that are leached back in are the things the carbon is least effective at adsorbing.

12. OP
    OP
    orbelina

Cool thank you I shall get on with that then :thumbup::)

13. LyndaB

You keep talking like this, I'll never get you married off..... :;alien

14. Jaysee

Hahaha, this girl I started talking to is concerned about going kayaking with me, because "what if the life jacket doesn't work?"

15. LyndaB

not exactly a candidate for the kayak roll, eh? :;sonar

16. Jaysee

I don't think she can swim, which is weird because I think she grew up in hawaii.

17. LyndaB

Maybe she needs to have her carbon replaced, it's obviously become inert...... :p