Question Which One is Best for Beginners??

Newbeee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, i would like some fresh recommendations on what starter kit is best for someone that doesn't know anything about fishes. I would just like a simple desktop set-up without spending too much. (budget is around $60 without fish)

I thought about getting a betta fish, but they somehow look very boring so i decided to ether get Neon Tetras, Glowfishes, Zebra Danios, Tiger Barb etc.

My budget is very limited and im looking at these products but cant decide on which one.

Eclipse Hexagon 5 Aquarium by Marineland

498.jpg

Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kits

Top Fin® Aquascene 5 Aquarium Kit

...or should i spend double the amount of money to get the popular 6 Gal JBJ Nano Cube??

And im also guessing the only thing i need to buy are food and a heater, or is there something in these starter kits thats missing?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
I have the 5g hex. I found it hard to clean properly with a syphon and it scratched easily.
If you want to look at 5g's check out walmart. I think their kits are less and are a nice shape.
Sadly, none of the fish you mention except for the betta is suitable for a 5g.
The pictures on the boxes showing all those fish are really deceiving.

For a couple of more dollars, you can get a 10g kit from walmart which should be good for some neons.

I don't think any of the kits linked to come with heaters.

Good luck!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with lucy. If you spend just a few more dollars you can have a 10 gallon from walmart. With a 10 gallon, you could hold a few more fish than those 5 gallons and the cleaning would probably be easier.

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes you should get a 10 gallon from walmart because there only about $10. You will also need to buy a light hood ($20) and a heater ($15) and filter ($15) which sums up to 55 dollars but you will have a bigger tank and you will be able to keep more fish.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I've got the TopFin 5g and it does need a heater. Also it'd be best to get a small hang-on-back filter because the one that comes with it takes up way too much space in the tank (I got a TopFin 10 for it). In hindsight, I wish I would've gotten the bowfront because I think it'd be easier to see into and I think the shape would be better for fish. I use mine as a shrimp tank.

But I agree, get a 10g setup. I would've if my husband would've allowed it.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi welcome! i have the 5g hex with a hmpk male, which is a plakat, short fins. he does well in there. i don't have the same issue with the cleaning part though. i take the light off, the plastic piece under it, and sometimes i'll remove the filter. i have a pretty small syphon for it. i can clean it well.

on another note, i don't find bettas boring. they have much more personality than neons, or glowfish. those are pretty, but won't connect with you like a betta. but as lucy said, mostly what is good for a 5g is a betta. or you could do a shrimp tank/african dwarf frog tank.

i also have that aqueon, though mine is a 2.5g. it's worked out well for me.

lucy is right about none of those coming with heaters. i'd say you'd have to spend around $20 for one. and gravel/sand etc.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a hex and they are really hard to get cycled. They are next to impossible to clean. I also think the filter pump doesn't pump hard enough to keep the water clean if you have more that one fish in it. Also the light gets really hot.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a hex and they are really hard to get cycled. They are next to impossible to clean. I also think the filter pump doesn't pump hard enough to keep the water clean if you have more that one fish in it. Also the light gets really hot.
well i used tss for my hex and it was cycled in a week. though i'm not sure why it would be harder to cycle than anything else. also, i'm not sure why people think it's hard to clean. can you tell us why? i somewhat agree with the pump. my bio-wheel has been acting sort of sluggish. maybe it needs a rinse. the lights i agree about...but i replaced it with a very low wattage cfl, i think it's 7w. so that was an easy fix.

Newbeee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow i guess i forgot about the cleaning part, and i thought a 5 gallon tank was enough for a glofish because of which is a 1.77 gallon tank .

So my best bet is to buy them separately and get a larger tank if i plan on NOT getting a betta.

x Lucy, firemouthfreak, striker, Kunsthure, jerilovesfrogs and ayelie! I'll be posting here again if i need some help!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfish have a big bio load keep that in mind when looking at the filters.

Oh welcome to FL I hope you do start keeping fish. It is so wonderful to watch the little guys swimming around in a home you made for them.

I just got into fish keeping just a few months ago, and I can tell you the nice people here on the board have always been able to help me, and they are always so nice about it, they never make you feel stupid about asking questions.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish have a big bio load keep that in mind when looking at the filters.

Oh welcome to FL I hope you do start keeping fish. It is so wonderful to watch the little guys swimming around in a home you made for them.

I just got into fish keeping just a few months ago, and I can tell you the nice people here on the board have always been able to help me, and they are always so nice about it, they never make you feel stupid about asking questions.
actually she was talking about glofish, not goldfish

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ops: I miss read sorry. That makes a dozen times I've miss read those two. Maybe I need new glasses.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can get a 10 gallon set up for under $60 at Mejeirs or walmart. $49.99 last I checked. You'll have alot less issues if you go a little bigger. Tetras you want to keep in groups of 5 or more and zebra danios (same thing as glofish) are very active fish. On the flip side danios you wouldn't need a heater. You might actually want to stick with a passive/loner fish by nature like a betta if you with anything less then 10G tank.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i agree if she wants to keep something other than a betta, get a 10g. but if she does get a 10g, and decides she does want a betta, she can divide it and get 2! that's what i did.

but on the size thing....i have a 5 and i don't have issues with it. as with anything, you have to keep up on water changes, gravel vacs etc. but i suppose you could let a 10g slide a bit longer, vs a smaller one.

i mean now that were're talking about bigger size, why not get a 20g? i got my aqueon kit, heater included, for about 70, maybe 79. i think. there are sales in varies stores on kits a lot, you just have to check around. now you have something to really think about haha.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow i guess i forgot about the cleaning part, and i thought a 5 gallon tank was enough for a glofish because of which is a 1.77 gallon tank .
Yep, see how deceiving the pictures are on the box? They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the hex with a betta in it. Very annoying tank IMO. The second one would be fine, but 10g would be easier to maintain.

Edit: And bettas are anything BUT boring if you care for them well. The bigger the tank, the happier and more active they are.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

So my best bet is to buy them separately and get a larger tank if i plan on NOT getting a betta.

x Lucy, firemouthfreak, striker, Kunsthure, jerilovesfrogs and ayelie! I'll be posting here again if i need some help!
Glad to be of some assistance

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom