Question Which Of These Skimmers Do You Recommend?

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a 60 litre tank with 40 litre sump would you go for a Fluval Sea PS1 skimmer or a Bubble Magus QQ2 skimmer? This tank will have a low bioload, just some CUC , a couple of fish, and corals - do I actually need a skimmer? If so, are both of these ok for in the sump? Cheers!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Need of a skimmer depends on what you have or plan to have in the tank, so with that said, what is the stock of the tank going to be?

OP
AZL

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nikm128 said:
Need of a skimmer depends on what you have or plan to have in the tank, so with that said, what is the stock of the tank going to be?
Thank you for getting back to me, sorry for late reply, thread was quiet awhile and I forgot to check while balls deep in the build lol. I've ended up passing on the 60 litre display with 40 litre sump and a HOB overflow. Instead I've picked up a 74 litre/20 gallon display that has a hole drilled and came with the (wrong) plumbing. I've DIY'd an internal overflow box/weir, fitted a stand pipe with a durso, and a bulkhead. I have this with a 95 litre/25 gallon sump and the SiccI syncra 0.5 700 lph return pump. Silicon is now dry so transferring sand, rock, water, and hitchhikers tomorrow - I've been keeping them going with heat and an air pump in the meantime, i.e. the last 3 weeks. I'm planning a pair of clowns and some CUC for this tank, maybe another fish or two that will do ok with clowns and in that size tank, looking for recommendation there. I would like to try bubble anemones but have also been told hammer and frogspawn corals might be better. Either way I'll need a skimmer.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nikm128 said:
Yeah, definitely need a skimmer with corals
Not necessarily. I would agree that if someone was going the SPS route than a skimmer would almost be a must, but for softies and LPS (particularly the Euphyllia type corals mentioned) then I would say you could go without one if you go with a cleaner food source, don't overfeed and stay on top of weekly partial water changes. THAT SAID, to me once you put a sump in there a skimmer is pretty much a requirement to get the full effect/benefit of a skimmer.

Personally I would lean towards the Bubble Magus over the Fluval for skimmers.

This article review might help:

OP
AZL

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah cool, thank you!

New Threads