Which Nitrate Test Bottle Needs To Be Shaken A Lot?

Discus-Tang
In the nitrate test kit, which solution bottle is the one you have to shake loads?

Algonquin
Bottle #2.
then you have to shake the test tube for 1 min (I recommend wrapping it in a paper towel first, it can leak a bit with all the shaking!)

Fanatic
Bottle #2.
then you have to shake the test tube for 1 min (I recommend wrapping it in a paper towel first, it can leak a bit with all the shaking!)

I only find that the nitrate leaks when shook, it’s odd.

aquatickeeper
It's nitrate bottle #2. You need to shake it for at least 30 seconds.

Discus-Tang
Thanks everyone

Discus-Tang
Do I do this every time I use it?

Kevin Dennis
Yes

Fanatic
I think the automatic test solution bottle shaker is in order of being invented, that’d be a great use.

Algonquin
Just a little info in case anyone is interested... the Seachem Nitrite/Nitrate test is way simpler... no shaking, no tired arms after
It's got a little tray (picture a tiny ice cube tray the size of a credit card) and you put about a teaspoon of tank water in one of the little dents. Add one drop of Nitrite test solution, wait a few min and check the colour chart. When you are done that test, you use the same water to do the Nitrate test. Put in a level scoop (its about the size of half a pea) of Nitrate test powder into the water and mix it up. Wait a few min and check it against the colour chart. Done.
And you still have enough strength left in your arms to do a water change!

Kevin Dennis
I'm not a fan of the API nitrate test. After beating bottle 2 on my palm for a minute and shaking the test tube for a minute it has given me false negative results on a tank that I know has nitrates.

But it is cheap and stocked by many pet stores...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FrogLegged
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
sixtyfour
  • Question