Which livebearers can cross breed?

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I can't remember off the top of my head but I remember reading somewhere that some livebearers can crossbreed.

:;scuba

2. mrsdale Member Member

Guppies with Mollies, Guppies with Endlers, Swordtails with Platies ..However, when some crossbreeding happens the often result of fry are sterile, runts, or not fully developed..

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

They need to be in the same Genus. I do not agree that fry would be sterile. I know that Endlers and Guppies produce viable offspring. Also, Platies and Sword tails do as well. The gupp/molly cross' that I have read about were not sterile either. The guppy/molly hybrids usually don't survive long though.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay I just wanted to know because of the baby fry I have currently I plan to separate when they get a little older. I'm not a fan of cross breeding. I may just up and separate all males and females to make it easy.

5. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I honestly don't know if this is true or not, but if Guppies x Endler, and Molly x Guppies, then I would think that Endler x Molly is a possibility too, although I've never read of it...

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Endlers are really small! The whole physical part of it makes it hard.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The only time I've heard about different species like guppies and mollies cross breeding is then they didn't have their own kind in the tank. It's rare and has to be perfect timing for it to happen. The only ones that would very readily cross breed are Endlers and Guppies because the are so closely related.

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay that's good. I really don't want them interbreeding either tho and causing even more babies so I'll probably just separate them. If I end up with any super pretty male or female guppies I may just have to start breeding them again. I loved breeding them they were always so much fun. I also always really liked breeding my balloon mollies. Those things would come out in the CRAZIEST colors.

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Livebeares are a lot of fun :D I'm horribly hooked on my Endlers! My 29gallon Endlers tank is getting overrun, going to have to get a 55 soon.

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You could always send some this way ;) I wouldn't object to it! I've never actually owned endlers. No where around here actually sells them.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I'm in love with mine. They have no fear! It's always a pain sticking a net into my Endlers tank because I come out with a bunch of Endlers. They also chew on me when I do water changes... my RCS have picked up that habit now too.

I'm considering selling some this summer. If you are actually interested, I can put you on my list =)

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

It would depend on if I had an open tank. I'm planning on having the 29 opened up by then but who knows with me.

If I ever decide to redo my 125 or when I decide to move I really want to put 3 guppies and just watch. I'm going to school to be a teach so I kinda want to do something like that with my students. Maybe have like a 29 in the classroom and put 3 guppies or maybe like black mollies since the babies are easier to see.