Which lighting setups are effective/not dangerous?

1. V

Vamonkea New Member Member

Hello! I'm a beginner fishkeeper with a 20 gallon tank with 2 scrawny anubias plants that have not grown since I put them in there. I think it's probably because they do not get a lot of light, so I am trying to look into adding light to my tank.

Are there any definite "don't"s when picking out your lighting fixture?

I am looking into something like this. http://www.petmountain.com/product/.../aqueon-aqueon-incandescent-strip-lights.html However, the biggest size they seem to go up to is 20 inches, while my aquarium is 24 inches.

I considered lamps and LED clip ons. Do LED clip ons provide enough light for medium lighting? Are there any dangers associated with using lamps, such as the light overheating the water in the tank?

Thank you for your time!

2. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

I can't comment on the florescent or incandescent lights, but I love LED. There's quite a few options for low/med light for the 24". Generally, the low to medium 30-40 PAR would cost as much, maybe a little more or less, than the fixture and bulbs together. For the most part, clip on LED are designed for smaller tanks for nano aqua sculpting.

LED don't throw heat like bulbs and ballasts can, but I don't know how they can effect water temp, sorry.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Don't get incandescent lights - they're not as good for growing plants, they get hot, and they use more electricity than fluorescents and LEDs. Fluorescents are a bit better than incandescents, but LEDs use less electricity, usually create less heat (I don't think you need to worry about them overheating your tank), look fantastic, and are less expensive over time.

Anubias are very slow growers, so you may not notice much growth for them for a while.

I really like the Finnex fixtures. The Stingray sounds like it would be a good option for you, and they come in 24" fixtures.

4. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

I've only had LEDs and really like them. I have to agree with TexasDomer and his suggestion of the Stingray. I only have the clip on version and wouldn't dream of putting it on anything taller than 12". At that level it's PAR is 45, and it's a bright little thing. Their 24" fixture with would most likely be ideal. Good enough to grow plants well, and bright enough to really illuminate your tank.

5. OP
    OP
    V

Vamonkea New Member Member

Thank you for your input everyone! For now, I found a floor lamp in our house that at least brings light throughout the whole tank. The 100 watt bulb is the brightest light in my room! I can't see the color temperature though. If it turns out to not be enough, then I'll definitely try to get my hands on a stingray! Thanks a million for your advice!