30 Gallon Tank Which light/wattage for low light plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naggler

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am starting my first aquarium...a 30 gallon long. I have done lots of research, but seem to get contradicting information especially when it comes to lighting and filtration. I will post my filter question in the appropriate area, but my lighting question is this:I just want some low light plants because I do not want fake plants in my aquarium. I was thinking about some java fern, maybe java moss, cryptocorynes, anubias, and hopefully a sword or two for height. Eventually I want to have a school of 9 tetras, a trio of apistos, and maybe a couple other small friendly fish. Less than 35 inches of small fish. The guy at our local aquarium store said that I can totally get away with a single strip 36" plant light. Is this accurate? Is so, should I go with the 6700k bulb that the sticky about low light plants suggests? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 48watt in my 29 gallon, which is 18"high and the above plants are doing well. how many watts is the bulb? i dont know enough to tell you based on "k"s, but im sure others can. I thnk most swords will want higher levels of light, but for hight, i have Hygrophilia Salicifolia, which is doing OK, but i think would appreicate a bit more light. i tried the twisty Val's, but they died.

aim for at least 1.5 watts per gallon, and the java fern, java moss, anubias, and cryts will do great

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First let me say Welcome to fishlore Naggler
now a would say the 35 inchs of fish in a 30gal tank well be very over stocked
now for the light 45 watts sounds about right but java moss may need more light then that

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just want some low light plants because I do not want fake plants in my aquarium. I was thinking about some java fern, maybe java moss, cryptocorynes, anubias, and hopefully a sword or two for height. Eventually I want to have a school of 9 tetras, a trio of apistos, and maybe a couple other small friendly fish. Less than 35 inches of small fish. The guy at our local aquarium store said that I can totally get away with a single strip 36" plant light. Is this accurate? Is so, should I go with the 6700k bulb that the sticky about low light plants suggests? Any tips are greatly appreciated!
A single bulb would work for those plants.This one would be fine,

Or, I have used this fixture on a 30 gallon with all the plants you mentioned,and it works fine too.

now a would say the 35 inchs of fish in a 30gal tank well be very over stocked
The one inch of fish,for one gallon of water is bunk. The only problem I can see with your suggested stock is if the apistos breed,they may not want any other fish in the tank. If you keep a pair,they are less likely to breed,and your community will have a better chance of succeeding.

Naggler

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mistyped!!! I would not ever try to get that much fish in there especially if it's planted! I meant 25 inches, but really, all I plan on having right now is a school of tetras and the apistos. I hope to get them to breed eventually! Thanks for the tips so far...and fast responses! I love this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom