Which Kind Of Light Should I Pick?

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Try to set up the beginning plant 40 gallons tank,17 inches deep ,but when i come to light ,it has so much confusing about intensity,spectrum,size,color of light, color temp, lumens,PAR,PUR,type, number ,kind of plants to grown ect...
So! If it come cross my mind with full tank plants/ fish with low and mid light and strong light plants grown together.Which kind of light should i pick with what information related?and where i should locate each kind of plants to match with that one light for all plants!
Please! Help me those number and info so i can go out there to pick the design LED light to fit what plants/ fish need to grown.
Thank you All.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think i need the information and number of those thing which i have confused up there so i can pick the light on what ever brand match with my need,not the brand name of the light that works for your plants( but not for my mix) .Anyway ! Thank you thought for your information about good light you have.
What i think is natural light with shade is best for plants in general.Most aquarium light out there try to create the light close to natural sun light.With low light plants,shade will help as we have flow plant on top of water surface ,and mid light or full light plants ...the full light will make it grown.I just think like what nature do to water plants and try to find aquarium that close.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go with PAR. That's the light plants use. The rest is more color rendition and brightness for our eyes. Plants use more light in the red and blue spectrum, whereas green and yellow represents brightness for our eyes, but does not provide as much for the plants. So as long as you have PAR, you can tweak the rest to your liking.

Beamswork DA and Finnex 24/7 is about 48 PAR @18". That puts you in the medium light range, which is perfect imo. The Finnex is totally customizable for color rendition (CRI) and intensity. You may need a cheap dimmer for the BW if you get algae.

Those are the best lights on the cheaper side for plants. I don't know the specs on Nicrew, but I think they can be compared to BW.

Btw, I just bought the Finnex 24/7 HCL slim and I love it!

About shade, I have that going on in my 90 gallon
20190920_143102.jpg

Left side has val sweeping the surface and floating water lettuce to create a shady side. Below it I grow bolbitis (african water fern) and crypts. The right side is pretty much clear at top, so allows me to grow higher light plants like the stargrass and rotala. Still low light plants, but they do better with more light. This tank has a BW 6500k DHL (now obsolete) but has a similar PAR rating to the DA series. And one 10000k Beamswork EA to brighten the yellow CRI of the 6500k fixture and illuminate the top portion of the tank nicely.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice post! That is what i also think of to eliminate the algae on front side of the tank for the look.Back and side is ok with little algae with high grown plants .The set up you have and info is what i look for nature plant tank.Thank you very much.
I alway still need more idea and information from any one here helping before i start to collect the right equipment for it.Thank you in advance for your post in this thread.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinh said:
Nice post! That is what i also think of to eliminate the algae on front side of the tank for the look.Back and side is ok with little algae with high grown plants .The set up you have and info is what i look for nature plant tank.Thank you very much.
I alway still need more idea and information from any one here helping before i start to collect the right equipment for it.Thank you in advance for your post in this thread.
I notice algae on the glass when light points to it. Oftentimes it's half way down where as the light spreads (diode lense angle), hits the glass. To help this in my 120 gallon where I have 3 fixtures, I have the front light tilted slightly towards the back/middle, enough to keep the light from shining on the glass.

I've learned to live with a bit of algae. My demon is BBA. As long as it doesn't cover everything, i'm ok. I don't use co2, so algae is pretty inevitable...

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My will too ,not Co2 and more or less plants i pick will grown like in nature.A lot of member here post that : with create of carpet plants, we some how need Co2 to promote the grown on some kind of plant,but i try not to pick some plants need Co2

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree, there are plants you can use as carpeting plants. In the pic above, I use stargrass and dwarf sag. Another one I used to use is hygro rosenervig or polysperma. It seemed to melt away, but this is what it looked like (same tank pictured above) when I had a bad BBA issue
20190926_133330.png

September 19, 2016 111947 PM EDT.jpg

They are stem plants. Able to grow as tall as you let them. If they grow full and bushy and light cannot penetrate through the lowest leaves, they melt away. So I was pruning and replanting tops every week or so to keep them short.

Another good lower light carpeting plant is helanthium tenellum seen here
IMG_7226_crop.jpg
On the right side. It will turn pinkish with enough lighting.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think i just read some thing about PAR unit like this copy and paste: (What’s the ideal PAR reading? Well, like many elements in this hobby, that answer is tricky. We prefer to keep our PAR around 250 to 400 nm, which produces beautiful coral growth and coloration.) So! What happen to 48 PAR@18 inches deep.Is that close to this prefer for 50 gallons tank @ 19 inches deep?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nm is relating to colour I think, not really PAR. Also Freshwater plants don't need as much light as saltwater coral.

Low light=10-30 PAR
Medium light=30-80 PAR
High light=80 and above PAR

At 20" the BW DA series and Finnex 24/7 is still 44 PAR.

I have about 50 PAR in my 24" tank (pictured above) with the BW DHL fixture and EA 10000k. Not measured with a PAR meter, but going by the charts provided online.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tks! I understand it now! Btw ,i think if i go all the way with none Co2 tank and i have Anubias in tank,soon i will have BBA issue like your tank.
Should i not pick Anubias for the none Co2 tank to eliminate BBA for while (soon or late it will be there) or use The Siamese algae eater fish to help out while they still like to eat BBA some time.What is your suggession!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BBA is not necessarily a no co2 thing. I have anubias galore in my 5.5 gallon with no trace of algae. Never did.
20190127_145256.jpg
Sorry for all the pics, just to show with lowish/med light and a stable tank, I do not get algae. The 90 gallon gave me trouble, but I got it worked out. That being said, I removed my anubias when I had BBA problems. I have it back in there now though in the eyes of the skull and around the cave on the left side. Hard to notice it.

My feeling is BBA was mostly caused by co2 fluctuation, not a deprivement. Lighting is your 'gas pedal'. If you see algae and your not using co2, the best thing to do is dial back the lighting. This could be intensity or photoperiod length or even adding floating plants. Floating plants are very helpful since they also use up excess nutrients that the algae would normally use. I added a siesta (split photoperiod) for this tank. 3 hours light on, 2 off, 4 on.

Also I think since co2 fluctuation causes it, my large water changes are encouraging its growth. So I started aging my waterchange water to let it off-gas co2 in the rubbermaid holding container instead of my tank. Seemed to help a lot for me and I continue to age all my water.

It was also too much light not penetrating all the way to the bottom. So I switched out BW EA type fixture for the DHL (similar to BW DA series).

Hope that made enough sense!

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Copy and note.Thank you!

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm back to where i start! Help if you can please!
As i read around for while about light for aquarium.Led light is kind of popular now for the tank so i pick LED light for my tank.Some info i read show that i need 15-80 PAR for low light plants with actual 50 par,50-150 par for moderate light with actual 100 par and 100-200 par for high light plant with actual 150 par.
Let say i need LED light for my tank 36x18x15 ( LxWxH. 40 gals standard bread tank)
Tank will fill full with moderate plant light to some high light plant mix,none CO2 ,no refector,3 inches subtrates.
Could you tell how much PAR light should i need,what brand name for reliable and what kind (cree,ecosmart,cf,bml30*-90*) how many bulbs and watt each bulb.Must be 36 inches long to fit my tank.
Thank you!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Beamswork or Nicrew
I check over amazon and did not see it indicate the PAR for each light so how do i know this brand will give out enough light for my plants!
BW fixture has 10000k day light.Finnex has 7000-8000 k day light.So 10000k is better or 7000k is better for my need! Nicrew has very less information,i am lost on it . Any suggestion?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Usually the number to look for is around 6500K that’s been my experience anyways... here is my 20 long with a Beamswork and my 10 with a Nicrew my 2 5.5 also have Nicrew and my 55 has a Finnex planted 24/7.. my 29 has a Nicrew sky led but it’s only been set up inside the house for a couple weeks and all the plant growth I give credit to the sun and the organic soil capped with PFS. without co2 your plants will grow slower so you also need to dose fertilizer for them and root tabs if it is a root feeding plant. I would suggest an all in one fertilizer Thrive C.

Attachments

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yah! They grown too slow that make me think because of the light is not strong or ON long enough.I will increase to 10 hrs light on 8000k / 129 LED light which i have now with Thrive C firt.If it still does not grown.I'm sure i need other 36" BW or finnex 24/7 to replace.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kelvin (k) is referring to spectrum. 10000k is higher in the blue (cooler) spectrum and 3000k is warmer (closer to red). 6500k is in the middle for plants.
is a chart to help explain.

I needed more light on 18" deep tank than the Beamswork EA, I added another BW accent fixture that I had and it makes a huge difference. Try it and see, but the BW DA Series or Finnex 24/7 will be all you'd need promise.

If your 40 gallon is 18" front to back (width), you may need a second light to cover that area. Finnex or BW DA would do it if it was hung a bit higher since the angle spread of the light would reach the front and back sides at the bottom. If you decide you need more light, you could always run a BW DA Or Finnex on the front half and the 8000k on the back half. It would be a similar setup to my 90 gallon (24" deep).

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You mean Kelvin unit just only effect to eyes . Only PAR will effect the light grow of the plant ? So where the PAR base on? Lunan? . i am sure i need another light to cover whole tank width.Thank you for that suggestion

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom