which is worse? -- move the mollies or leave em?

1. k

k9z3boys Valued Member Member

the mollies ( 1 black and 2 Dalmatian) are in the 26-- for some reason it has a nitrite spike - the prime is not taking it down and I have no idea why the nitrites are so high. neither they nor the otos seem affected...

is it better to leave them in that tank and hope the nitrite goes down eventually with time and dosing? or move them to the 60 where the ammonia is high, but should be down in a couple days?

2. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

The prime does not take the nitrites down. The prime just turns the nitrites into a nontoxic state for 24 hours, the nitrites are still there just not in a toxic state so they are still detectable.

What are all of your levels? Thats going to be the most helpful thing for me to know right now.

To figure out why your tank is going through a cycle or mini cycle we need to figure out:
    Have you recently added any fish or taken our decorations, messed with the filter, cleaned the gravel? Has your tank been originally cycled? If so for how long?

Without me knowing the levels, its hard for me to understand whats going on. From what I know, I would leave the mollies in there. Its almost more dangerous to move them into a tank with no nitrites, they could go into shock. If I were you, I would perform back to back water changes to get the nitrites down to a safe level. Then go from there.

3. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

There's no other way to lower toxic levels other than a water change.

Perform a 75% water change, then test again and to see where the levels are. If they are not at 0ppm, do another huge water change. Do them back to back if necessary to bring the Nitrite level down to 0ppm.

For future reference; always include the water parameter test results with every thread you begin where you are seeking assistance. It helps us to better help you.

4. OP
    OP
    k

k9z3boys Valued Member Member

** update** we moved the mollies - the Ph or nitrite difference didn't seem to affect them. they seem fine. just hang out with the guppies.
    did a 50% water change on the 26 and the nitrite is still up....
    I may have tested it too soon - I will check again in a couple hours.

I wonder if only having 6 otos in a 26 is too little a bioload?