Which is the sex of these two?

1. c

c_ybarra75 New Member Member

I have two Jack Dempseys. They are roughly 18 months old. One as you can see has some pretty contrastic colors and the other seems to be just plain. The bigger of the two also has a big bump growing on his head. Can anyone tell the sex of these two from looking at the pics?

Attached Files:

• Which is the sex of these two?
      jd1.jpg
      File size:
      197 KB
      Views:
    • Which is the sex of these two?
      jd2.jpg
      File size:
      199.9 KB
      Views:
  2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

From what I can see it looks like you have a male and female. The one with the Kok (pronounced coke), which is the bump on the head, is the male.

3. OP
    OP
    c

c_ybarra75 New Member Member

thank you for your reply. i was sure that the one that was more colorful and with the bump on the head was a male, but was hesitant since i heard something about the lower fins needing to be long and pointy, which is evident on both of them. also, i have two oscars in the tank with them, roughly the same size, and was wondering if I needed to worry about them fighting as they got older. they have all been in the same tank for 18 months and on occasion i see some bites/scars on the faces of my oscars. I have noticed the smaller of the jacks nibbling on this area a couple of times and since the jacks have teeth i'm guessing they are fighting at night time. any suggestions?

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

What size tank do you have them in? Is it just the four cichlids in the tank? Both JDs and Oscars have teeth so it could be the Oscars fighting one another or the JDs fighting with the Oscars. I can't say who it is without actually seeing it happen. I would guess that the aggression is due to lack of territory space. But that depends on your tank size.