Question Which Is The Better Way To Set This Up

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I finally ran out of carbon cartridges for my Marineland 350b, now it's time to switch up the media a bit and I need advice on how I plan to do it.
Option 1: Back row of filter holds floss or sponges while the front is filled with Fluval pre-filter
1.5: Same but with Fluval biomax instead
2: Pre-filter in the back row with the sponges up front
2.5: Biomax in back with sponges in front
3: Right or left side filled with either biomax or pre-filter, other side has the sponges
Thoughts on that or any other suggestions?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just stuff the media box with Fluval replacement foam sponges. Nothing else needed. I did that several years ago to my "relic" Marineland 280 bio-wheel HOB. It's on an overstocked 65 gal. tank. The water stays clear & the fish are coloful and healthy. Maintenence; squeeze the sponges out once a month.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well that'll be way cheaper than using both medias, sounds like something I'll try if it works. Which replacement sponge did you use? There are so many different types out there

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petsmart sells Fluval FX series replacement sponges. I believe approx 6-8 sponges come in a box. Very inexpensive. Each sponge should last for several years.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Start off small. Play around with different configurations and try another method if first one isn't doing what you want.

I would first try using a 3-pack box of Aquaclear 70 replacement sponges and a bag of Polyfil batting.

Amazon and Petsmart have them online for $5.99.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom