Which Is Better To Get Plants From?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jenmur, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I'm planning to go all live plants in my 55 gallon community tank. I have seen plants in little tubes at Petco and Petsmart as well as plants in fish tanks at my LFS. Which is better to get plants from? A tube or a tank?

2. justinmo

justinmo Valued Member Member

It's your preference, the plants in gel or tubes will be free of any pests and snails while the ones in fish tanks won't be. You could do a bleach dip for the fish tank plants if you're worried.

3. OP
    OP
    jenmur

I had t thought about the snails and pests actually. I was just curious as to which plant was healthier if there was a difference. I got my Anubias from a tank and so far so good. Bleach dip?!?! Wouldn't that kill the plant and fish?

4. justinmo

justinmo Valued Member Member

I haven't done one but most people do them successfully, it isn't for a long period of time and it's a very light bleach dip that's very diluted with water. You rinse the plants afterwards and soak them in dechlorinated water to neutralize the bleach (again I've never done one so this is a vague explanation) You can do the dips on less sensitive plants if done correctly there shouldn't be any harm towards fish or plants. Perhaps someone else can explain this better. As to which plant is healthier, both should do relatively well, they'll need some time to adjust to your tank, I've had luck with both. If buying plants from a tube there are some plants you should avoid that aren't fully aquatic and cannot be completely left in water or they'll rot. You're better off looking at the scientific names and if possible searching them up.

5. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

It all depends on how fond you are of snails. I go with which is cheaper and looks healthier, but I've bought the tubes and the in-tank plants.

6. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@justinmo. Oohhhhh! Ok. Yeah I gotta look up plants people have recommended to me. I won't be able to do all of them!

@Demeter. I have never had a snail although I have considered one for my betta tank. Ok, yes healthy plant is good plant! Hehe

7. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

I bought live plants from a local shop and before I knew it I had a snail infestation. Bought a Clown Loach and in a short time all the snail eggs and small snails were gone. The bigger snails I catch when they are on the top of the front glass and remove them. Hail the Clown Loach! Also interesting is the gold dojo loach also known as the weather loach. When Dojo is resting on top of the floating live plants, he/she lets me pet them.

8. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@BuddyD. Clown loaches are so pretty!! But my tank is too small. Plus loaches seem to like warmer water than I will have.

Dojo loaches are cute too! A friend had one and she could pet it as well

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I really like ordering online. I've ordered on aquabid with good success - I highly recommend nofishtoday.

10. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Be careful though, the snails you can get from store tanks are definitely not the kinds you deliberately buy. The ones people buy are usually nerites or apple snails. The ones that come on plants are tiny pest snails and reproduce like rabbits. I found one once in my tank and got rid of it immediately, luckily it hadn't laid any eggs yet. Some people like pest snails but most people spend lots of time trying to get rid of them.

I find that local shops don't really carry a large variety of plants, so I order online.

11. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I feel like I'm constantly seeing people posting about pest snails and how to get rid of them. I think if you're starting a tank, I'd avoid as much as possible, with getting a big snail infestation. Unless you want it, but typically, the pest snails aren't the ones you want. There are several ways to do a snail dip, but you're safe going with the plants in tubes, as they are snail-free.

12. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@TexasDomer. They sell plants online too! Wow! Is there any gaurentee that I will get the plant or is it like eBay to the highest bidder?

@-Mak- I don't want a bunch of snails. Would I see any pest snails in the tank if the plants had any? I have seen a few plants I want at my LFS but not local pet stores like Petco.

@cmarsh55. No pests, maybe a couple nirites. I have seen Java fern and Anubias in the pods but not any other plant I want.

13. TexasDomer

There are buy now options, so you can be guaranteed. There are members here who sell plants too, but the selection is smaller.

14. OP
    OP
    jenmur

I'll look into it :). I don't think I want anything too exotic? Amazon sword, Val or Saggitaria, stuff like that.

15. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Perhaps, but they're pretty small, and it'd be very hard to see any eggs. If you want to avoid snails you can buy tissue cultured plants, which are grown in sterile conditions. Or do a bleach dip.

16. TexasDomer

Snails aren't as bad as many people make them out to be. I have no trouble picking snails out of my tank to keep the population low. If you do get some, it's not the end of the world (or your tank!).

17. OP
    OP
    jenmur

How does one do a bleach dip? I haven't seen any snails in any tanks that aren't supposed to have them before.

18. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Just means more things in tank that I can practice catching :). Hehee. I've heard of people squishing them on the walls of the tank and leaving them there for their fish.

19. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Getting a clown loach which will need a 150 gal in the future to get snails does not sound like a good solution. At least for most of us mortals.

20. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Snails are annoying, I can keep them undercontrol in my 10 gal and I like them a little bit, they help balance the ecosystem but I cant imagine having to go on a snail hunt in my 36 gal.
    I would suggest to do bleach dips just to be safe, of course you will have to research before to see if the plant can handle it but it will save you a lot of hassle. Because it is not only snails that can arrive to your tank...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice